Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
I had a wonderful weekend and wanted to tell people about it. Several weeks ago I scheduled a ski trip with my wife, son and daughter. We have not skied for several years but used to do it a lot, and I wanted to get one last trip in before my legs went. I was still running a little at the time I scheduled the trip but unfortunately since then my legs have gotten much weaker and less coordinated. I am no longer running and walk with a limp and a cane now. In fact I had to request a wheelchair to get through the airport, it was the first time I had done that and a bit discouraging. So I didn't know if I would be able to ski at all.

Well it worked out amazingly well, once I got the skis on I was able to move about OK. I was much weaker than usual but my experience helped me. I probably know ten different ways to make skis turn and by staying on a very short beginner run it worked out fine. The chair lift only had 150 foot vertical climb so I was able to rest frequently.

We only skied about an hour and then my legs turned to rubber, but it was a spectacular day. It snowed on and off, which I love to see since we get no snow where I live in southern California. My kids had a good time too and it was great to get the family together for a trip like in the old days.

For that hour or so, I didn't have ALS. I felt healthy and whole again.

Attachments

• Skiing_1.jpg
    Skiing_1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 345
Hal, that is fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

FANTASTIC! I am glad you were able to do this and enjoy it.

Hal that is a lovely Christmas story. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Laurel

Hal,

It sounds like you made some great memories! Glad you went, and were able to enjoy.

Hal...

That was great! Glad you were able to enjoy your trip out here in my neck of the woods (relatively speaking :) ).

Thanks for sharing the neat experience, Hal! I'm glad the trip was such a success!

Kim

Glad you enjoyed your trip and sounds like a wonderful experience with your family.
Dana

Hal,
You look perfect to me in the Picture.. I see ALS was definitely missing in action for that time. So glad you had a great time, here's to more of those.:-:p:p:p:p

What an inspiration! Thanks Hal!

wow hal, amazing how an hour of "normal" life has become so joyous.....i guess that is indeed a blessing.....to really really enjoy our times together.

thanks for sharing...

Congratulations Hal...I'm very glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time, Hal. :D

Hal , congrats - you made me jealous.

Looks like you had a blast. Good for you.

You look like a champ on those skis! What a great day for you and your family. Those are the stories we love to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back