Diagnosis
12/2004
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Johnston
I haven't been outside in almost a year... I am afraid I'll have to pee or that I'll fall etc. I have actually come to the point I am afraid to go outside. When I do leave the house.. for Doctor's appointments and whatnot we have to call a rescue to transport. I live on the 2nd floor with seriously steep stairs and they take me down on a board. I have been graced with the almighty issue of clotting and pulmonary embolisms due to inactivity. I have people come in to take my blood every week. The Doctors basically said if I won't go in for them to say "How are you feeling" for the typical response of "fine" they will stop calling in my blood thinners.. My fear of going out for them to ask how I am is in direct conflict with the fact if they stop calling in the prescription there's a HUGE chance Ill end up clotting for the third time. My question is.. does anyone have any experience with this or know how one would be able to find some sort of in-home Doctor? Thanks for your time. Holly

Holly, it sounds like you've got agoraphobia (but I'm no doctor, and I can't make any kind of diagnosed), but if you do, there are treatments and counseling that can help with this. Please tell your doctor you need real help now, and ask him for references to social workers who can direct you to the help you need.

There are certainly professionals who can help you. I'm glad you reached out for help ... that is the single most important thing you can do. Keep reaching out. Make sure your doctor understands that you want to cooperate with his instructions, but that you need help to do so.

Good luck, dear.

How very insensitive of your healthcare professionals! Are you being seen at an ALS Clinic? If so, the social worker, as Beth indicated, should be able to direct you to local community services that could perhaps help you in your situation. Have you contacted the RI ALSA for help? They may have some contacts for pALS in your situation.

I'm very sorry. This must be really hard for you.

Holly,
I am sorry that your having such difficulty with leaving your home. I agree the local ALS social worker might be able to help you address some of the community barriers that make you fearful to leave your home and provide connections to services to offer you the support you need.

In the meantime, the lab work required for blood thinners is scheduled. If you have been on them a while then hopefully the frequency is lower, once a month? Irregardless I am guessing home health is already set up to draw your lab work if your not leaving your home.

The doctors can only call in prescriptions so long before they must see you to make sure they continue to call in the right medications. Maybe you could speak with your doctors about your fears so that you can spread out your regular visits.

There are doctors that come to the home. I live in a medical community so there are several agencies that provide this service but I think they are few and far between. I found this website but noticed RI is not listed. Maybe another state near you may have agencies that cross state lines? American Academy of Home Care Physicians - Info for Patients, Families and Friends: Physician Referral Network

I am so sorry you are going through this.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back