Diagnosis
12/2008
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Clarkston
HI! These are a few things I've found out in the 6 mo or so since I've had mine. :-D
1st - if you put in enough liquid you can liquify ALMOST anything. Some things I've put into my OATMEAL SHAKE are; 2/3 cup oatmeal, water or milk, plus 1 multivitamin talet, sugar (lots, Ineed the extra sugar) and meat, Spam or vienna sausage.
2nd - DO NOT try putting in fresh (seedy) grapes, the seed can (& has for me) plugged the opening. THIS CAN BE TAKEN OUT WITH A PAPER CLIP. NO Raisins! The skin won't liquify for some reason
3rd - Ramen noodles, 2 min in microwave - add spam or vienna sausage.
These are filling, but take some experimenting to get to the correct thinness. I've also tried tuna! Right out of the can, it's almost thin enough, doesn't need much time in the blender.
Thats all I can think of that I've done. OH by the way - for travel I take 3 or 4 cans of 'formula' - 2 disposable glasses, 1 60 ml syringe, and some paper towels, in a little Sterlite Showoff case. I don't remember where I got it at. They come with a snap on lid with a handle for easy carrying. This is for LOCAL TRIPS ONLY. For long distance, ie overnight, i just take that & a box of more cans. A tiny bottle of h20 or juice fits right in too, so I usually have everything I need to feed, right with me.
Find your nirtch - fill it & flourish!:-D:-D

Great advice! You're much more adventurous than I am. I love the Spam and Vienna Sausages ... used to love those little sausages.

The Spam reminded me that Spam is now being used in sushi, which I think is a hoot, and that reminded me that tofu would make an excellent addition to a shake or mixed meal. Extra protein, it's made out of soybeans, which are VERY healthy, and with a tube you don't have to taste it. :)

Making your own meals instead of using formula is the way to go! I hated any formula and my stomach was always upset and I always felt sick. Then we decided to blend up whatever my wife was cooking and my problem went away. We found that you have to have an exceptionally good blender or there will be problems. We purchased a Vita-Mix and it works fantastic. It is commercial grade and bullet proof.

I am so glad this thread was started as I was about to ask. My Dad has not tolerated his tube feedings since the insertion. We have went through a trial of ...it is probably the IV abx, give it time, he might have Cdiff, give it time, try this anti diarrhea med, give it time, check for Cdiff again, stop this med, change the tube feed., yada yada. We got fed up and stopped the tube feeds.

Wala, no more diarrhea for a week . So now we are trying to figure out how much of what equals the amount of calories he needs. A formula so to speak that keeps Mom from calculating each meal to ensure he is getting enough calories for the day. We are hoping she can blenderize a concoction and divide up in equal portions for the day.

I am looking for foods that are high in calories and low in volume. Did you know that 1 tbsp of Olive Oil has 120 calories? If anyone has any recommendations, please throw them my way. So far we have used raw eggs, yogurt, bananas, potato soup, protein powder, 1 can of Jevity, etc. but we have not got to the 1800 cal recommended by a dietitian I spoke to.

Mom and I have been playing with some concoctions and giggling. Dad says if he hears us chanting or he sees smoke, the tube is staying clamped!

Joel, I have read that several people like yourself are actually putting just about anything in the tube including meat. How does this not clog the tube? Does your Vita Mix blender do the trick or are you straining food before putting in the tube? Help me, I'm skeered! LOL!

Has your tube been clogged? If the tube gets clogged, how easy is it to unclog with Coke or something? If you are unable to get rid of the clog what is involved in replacing the tube? Your input is appreciated.
Thanks.
Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
Dana, that is a benefit of a good blender. It will blend up any food, including meat, without a problem. No clogs yet.

Hi, Dana ... I'll jump in if I may. I'd avoid raw eggs. Maybe scramble them first (you can do quickly in microwave). For added calories, try Haagen Daas ice cream ... 400 calories (I think it is) for 1/2 cup of vanilla. Olive oil is good ... not only calories but good for the heart.

If you ever want a quick shot of calories with no fussing, a small chocolate shake from Burger King has 700 calories and (I think) 20 grams of protein.

As to clogs or blockages: I get them, and they seem to be mainly from hitting a pocket of air, and also my stomach seems to process food slowly. I've never had one I couldn't fix. Sometimes just moving the tube gently back and forth does it. (You'll get a lovely belch sound when it clears!) Coke works wonders. Always flush with water before and after feeding (I'm sure you do that anyway).

If all else fails, use the plunger. (I just use gravity, and can do many of my feedings standing up when I don't feel like fussing. The fastest way is to take the feeding lying down. The stuff really zooms down.) The plunger takes more strength than I've got most times, but there is no clog that can stand up to it!

Maybe I get clogs because I am still eating frequently by mouth, and therefore there is food in my stomach that is not as pulverized as tube food. I've learned to wait a while (half hour or so) after eating by mouth before using the tube. Sometimes I will start out by mouth with something delicious, then start choking, etc., so I wait a little while, liquify it if it needs it and finish by tube. The best of both worlds!

As to replacing the tube: That shouldn't be hard to do if necessary (but I bet it is rarely ever needed). Where the tube enters the body, there is a cross piece on the outside which we can see, and right inside the body, there is a similar flange (like a Molly bolt) that opens up when the tube is placed. That is the only impediment.

Hope this helps.

Joel, My Mom had heart palpitations when I told her how much the Vita Max cost. She was impressed that it was bullet proof though. :) Our blender was $14 at Walmart. We are just getting started and will probably need to upgrade to one that is more durable as so far we have been choosing easily blendable foods and need to expand our options.

Beth, thanks for the tips on the quick calories and for using the tube. Please feel free to jump right in with your opinion for me anytime. I am looking for help from all perspectives and yours input is valuable!

Wondering if you have trouble with reflux when lying down for tube feeds. We have been told by a couple of people to make sure Dad stays upright for 30 minutes after tube feeds to prevent aspiration?

We have mentioned the raw eggs to several people and the reactions are mixed. We are using the organic eggs (cost a little more but decreases the chance of salmonella). We have not tried to scramble them for fear of clogging the tube but I am now wondering if we half cook them in the microwave as you mentioned and left them slightly cooked if that would help.

Thanks!
Dana

Dana ... never had any reflux, but I use a couple pillows to prop me up when I feed lying down. But you're very right ... aspiration is still a danger, even with the tube.

I would think the blender could pulverize scrambled eggs along with the rest of the food. My blender is run of the mill, but does a great job on solids like fresh fruits for smoothies, so I'm sure could handle moist scrambled eggs.

Speechless in L.A.

Thanks Beth. Mom will throw the eggs in the microwave in the morning and give it a go.

Joel, My Mom had heart palpitations when I told her how much the Vita Max cost. She was impressed that it was bullet proof though. :) Our blender was $14 at Walmart. We are just getting started and will probably need to upgrade to one that is more durable as so far we have been choosing easily blendable foods and need to expand our options.

Thanks!
Dana

LOL I totally understand your moms reaction! I did the same and after destroying several inexpensive blenders and being frustrated with their performance, we got the Vita-Mix - there is absolutely no comparison. It can do anything we want, even cooks food while blending.

even cooks food while blending

If you tell me it also goes to the store and buys the food, I will buy one immediately! :grin:

Tube Questions

My pals is getting a tube on this friday, and I'm trying to get as prepared as possible. All of the above tips are very useful, but I'm wondering one thing. If you aren't tasting the food then why not just use the canned supplements? When we met with the doctor he didn't mention normal food at all. My husband can eat a little by mouth but most of it stays in his mouth or comes back out. I know he will want to continue to have smoothies and things by mouth until he can't any more, and I thought we would just use the high calorie supplements with fiber. Is there less constipation with normal food than with the cans? He is already having alot of trouble with that. Any answers would be so appreciated. Thanks.

If you mention to a dietitian or doctor you plan on doing your own food they will go nuts! The reason to do your own was, in my case, because the formula made me sick. Not everyone can tolerate formula. Also, your insurance might pay for the formula so that would be a good reason to try it. I had to pay for mine so it was cheaper to do our own and I was used to my wifes cooking.

clewbcg

My Dad started with the canned tube feeds that are recommended. He was not able to tolerate the tube feeds - note that he has a history of pancreatitis as well as the ALS-and had diarrhea.

The canned supplements would be preferred in my opinion for a number of reasons
1) Convenience (so much easier to pop a can and so much more portable)
2) Sanitary (blender needs to be kept clean and less handling of food)
3) No clogging (some items still need to be strained after blending to prevent clogging the tube)
4) Recommended daily allowance of what the body needs is easier to calculate and follow for weight maitenance and gain.

Most people tolerate the tube feedings just fine. There are a couple of people on here in a race to see who can gain weight the fastest and are thriving with the new PEG.

I wish your husband well with his PEG on Friday and that he continues to enjoy the food of his choice and lets the tube do all the work.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back