Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MD
City
Rockville
Hi all,
I am a new member whose Mother was diagnosed with bulbar ALS shortly after also being diagnosed with breast cancer. She went through chemo and radiation and lost an enormous amount of weight. She was still able to eat by mouth but simply wasn't able to consume enough calories to bring her weight back up. Now she has a PEG tube, can barely swallow and hasn't been able to tolerate many of the canned, liquid foods. She is currently using HN Isosource. We tried the higher calorie Nutren HN but it was too rich and made her very I'll. We need to find some way of adding calories to her diet without making the food too rich for her stomach. I saw another Nestlé product mentioned here- I think it was called Source 2.0. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Or any other ideas for how we can supplement her diet without making her sick? Thanks very much! :p

Half & half has a ton if she can take it. Used to agree with my dad, Your mom, the poor thing has been through so much already.

Benecalorie worked pretty well for me. Do you know what about a food makes her sick? Most of the calorie adding foods are very, very fats heavy.

We found Peptomin (spelling may be peptamin) worked well. It was high calorie. We are in Canada and I'm not sure if it is available in the U.S. We also added cream or gravy to mixture to be put thru peg. Just use enough to create the proper texture for the tube.
Jane

Could some of her feeling ill be in the volume you are giving her? If she has been on the path of losing weight for some time her stomach is likely not used to very much volume. If you haven't already, try reducing the amount you give her in a feeding and increase the number of feedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back