Diagnosis
02/2016
Country
US
State
SC
City
Summerville
My daughter went back home today so this is my first day truly alone. I am trying to look at this as the beginning of a new life rather than an ending. Doing OK so far. Got Tom's ashes back from the mortuary yesterday and rather than being difficult as I though it would be, it brought a feeling of peace. I said Good Morning to him when I got up this morning and read my paper and drank my coffee sitting in "his" chair. We agreed that I would keep his ashes and that in the likely event that I move to be nearer my family, I will take him with me so that wherever I end up we can still be together. I truly hope that knowledge comforted him at the end.

Very good. That's good to read, thanks.

I also have my PALS ashes. They're in a beautiful box on the mantle over the fireplace, next to her the very few favorite things that I kept.

Krissy liked the mountains of Oregon, so in a couple years, I'll fly over there and have my adult children scatter her ashes to the wind from a light airplane. (Probably a law against that.)

Actually, Mike, Tom originally wanted me to scatter his ashes on the beach but about a month ago when we talked about that he said to just have him cremated and buried in South Carolina (or anyplace but Toledo, Ohio. Said he never wanted to go back there!). I suggested my keeping the ashes so we could eventually be buried together and he agreed. His urn is a patriotic urn with the face of an eagle against an American flag. I have that as well as an air force medallion and the red rose the mortuary left in the chair where he died on the little table next to that chair. The night he died, I actually slept in that chair to feel closer to him.

Sandy, you are doing good. just do what ever feels right to you at the moment. I have spread some of Lonny's ashes and it was very comforting to me. the other half is in a box--in the closet I am sorry to say. I was going to bury them in a family plot but just haven't worked up to doing it yet.

time moves along no matter what and you will have good days and bad days. we are all here for you on those bad days, and cheering for you on the good ones.

hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back