Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
My father passed away from ALS on November 21st of this year 2015. I have a regret. I wish I had took more pictures of him after his diagnosis with me and also with my kids. When he first found out he had ALS I felt I shouldn't upset him by flashing a camera in his face because I didn't want him to think I thought it was the end right away. He lived for 3 1/2 years after we found out. I wish I was more persistent in getting pictures taken. I was glad I wasn't my normal vain self about my appearence and did pose for a picture with dad and my sibling on Columbus day. I'm always worried that I look like crap. But, for some reason I knew the picture would be important to me someday. So, make sure you take time to make memories and take pics. I am so thankful that I kept some messages that my dad left on my cell phone. I play them so I can hear his voice .

God Bless You, Kim.

And thank you for taking the time to share with us from your
experience.

Sincerely always,
Laura.

Kim, please try to let go of regrets. Know my hubby didn't really want pictures of himself with ALS. He wanted us to remember him as the healthy man he was prior to this monster. And it is the "healthy" pictures that need to be cherished most. That was who he wanted to be, and it is comforting to remember all the GOOD years he had when he could golf, run, work out daily. ALS can't take that away. I'm so sorry for the continuing pain. It doesn't go away- but it does get easier to face each day without them. Hugs. Donna

Kim please don't beat yourself up about this. Taking pics of my husband took on a whole new meaning after the diagnosis and I always feel like I am saying Hey let me get a bunch of pictures so I can remember you by. I am sure like me you have many wonderful pictures of your Dad when he was well. Although we did take a lot of pics at Christmas that is very normal for us so we kept that up. Remember your Dad as he was. Remember him as he was. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kim I know just what you mean. I feel like so many moments have passed that I would have loved to have pictures of my husband in. But like Donna's husband, my PALS does not want pictures taken of him like this. He wants us all to remember him as he was before he became ill. So I respect that and try to focus on that for his sake. Wishing you much peace and love as you remember.

Steve is still able to maintain his weight so he will allow a few pictures occasionally, but never where you can see his pic or manual one. Kim, you are able to show your kids the vibrant side of your dad. I think that is what he would have wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back