Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
wisconsin
City
Milwaukee
I'm just wondering how everyone has moved on after their loved one was taken by ALS. Im turning 20 in a month and my father was taken by ALS when I was about the age of 15. I remember clearly when I came home from school in 3rd grade to be told he had ALS and not understanding what would happen. And eventually beginning to understand as he was slowly taken by it throughout my youth. I've found that as I've aged I begin to reminisce about everything that happened to my father and how it has affected me.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, how has ALS affected everyone after they lost their loved one? Especially the other kids who have lost a parent to it? I've just found that as i age there are always new experiences that need a guiding father, and for me, it has been difficult to cope with because being a child of someone with ALS is such a truly rare experience, it forces us kids to grow up very early.

best wishes and hope you all are well!

Thanks for reading my post and i'd love input!

-John

Hi John
I am sorry for your loss. To lose a parent so young and in such a terrible way is especially hard. You had your childhood cut short and saw things no child should have to. It changes you forever. But there is life after and your dad would want you to savor it. Would it help to talk it through with a counselor? I hope you had a counselor at the time but to have a couple of sessions now might help keep you from getting stuck.
I lost my mom to ALS but I was a grown up. My sister was diagnosed when her daughter was 9 ( now 11). I worry very much about my niece who is watching her mother deteriorate.
Wish I could take your pain away!
Best wishes

Hi John,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my husband which was so awful, but at least in my 50's I had a lot of life experience to draw on and a lot of great friends, and the people here held my hand all the way through. It has made a huge difference to me.

I saw a counsellor all through my time as a CALS and it was helpful. I agree with Nikki that you may consider seeing a counsellor to help you work through it. This is as big as it gets, no trivialising how you feel. Pushing it aside won't work. Facing it with someone who can make that safe and help you through it may be valuable.

Your father would want you to learn how to deal with what happened and open yourself to the many joys of life.

Talking here helps too, we sure know all about it and are dealing with it daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back