Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
Hello there. My wife has asked if there should be anything besides the normal stuff in my obituary. For me personally I think I could care less. However, I wanted to respectfully ask this group if you have found things in an obituary particularly comforting or nice afterwards. I would think the family pictures and videos would cover those bases better. Thank you for your thoughts.

The most important thing I like in it is a picture of the person that is relatively recent. I hate them without a picture and don't like one's of them when they are 70 and post pics of when they are 20. I like to read about things they enjoyed doing. I usually keep the obits of family and friends I care about as a extra rembrance. I also want to know if they have any special charities or organizations that they are fond of to send memorials too. Don't worry so much about your obit though. Enjoy your life today. We never know rather we have ALS or not when are time is up. Take care, Kim

Hi Brian. Bob's was short and sweet. More of an announcement of his passing and the day of his "Last Lecture and Farewell", with a nice picture. You're right - most things can be said at the service. We did include that donations could be made to the ALS Society. Yasmin.

To me a obit is to notify others of someone passing, where and when services are and if there are requests in lieu of flowers. In this day and age you have to be careful of the info put out in the public for fear of scammers and such. Sad really.

Those who really know or are close to the person who passed already know everything they need to know. Stories and things can then be shared at the service or the memorial.

I'm in the short/sweet camp. I didn't tell my husband's life story in the paper. We remembered him at the service. Strangers reading the paper didn't need to know the particulars of his life.

Thanks for sharing everyone. It confirms my thinking on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back