Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Morphine and Ativan,

Sorrt hit a button and posted too soon. My question is my mom is very agitated, restless and her hips and shoulders ache ---she has become fully paralyzed in the month, prior to that she was had some mobility. She's on morphine and Ativan right now. She went off the feeding tube on Sunday and stop taking water yesterday. It puts her in a sleepy haze, amp prevents communication that is mostly unsuccessful- which leads to frustration on her part and stress on everyone else. Her oxygen stats are low 80's to mid 70's it sea the most peaceful way to go but I feel bad because she cannot write ( she only has her right hand) but even off the drugs she can't hold the pen or make letters readable and when she does it's about simple things like 'did the trash go out' .... For those of you with experience please share you experience

Can you get (or make) a simple letter board that she can point to rather than trying to write? I know this is a tough time. Hang in there.

No she has no energy keeps her eyes closed when she writes, we can't read it.

I'm very sorry y'all are having such difficulties communicating with your mother. I wish I could offer a solution. As Katie said, hang in there.

Thanks, and Katie sorry for the negative response, I did try it we got one word out which was better than. Othing. The nurse called it terminal restlessness, when not sedated.

I would have suggested the letter board too. The morphine, Ativan and the probability that your mum is retaining C02 could be causing the "simple" phrases. You might want to ask your mum questions where the answer is yes or no and she could communicate by blinking once or twice respectively. Even if her eyes are closed, she hopefully can still blink. So sorry you're all going through this. It's so hard. Thinking of you. Yasmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back