Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
that nobody comes to our house anymore. Why is that? When Daddy was alive, sometimes people would come, but nobody does now."

"Son, when someone dies, it is very hard for people to deal with and they cannot face those left behind."

What a conversation to have with my son! I hope what he has gone through will make him stronger.

Sat here for the last 10 minutes and tried to think of some amazing response and....I'm speechless! Children are wise beyond their years and so very perspective----I'm thinking of you and dread any variation of that conversation that I am likely to be faced with! Once again---the only thing I have to offer is a BIG hug across the state line!

You gave him the right answer CJ. D

Good answer, CJ. So sad, but so true.

You know I once had a counselor say to me something about how we are schooled on every subject imaginable, Math, Science, Reading, Driving, Cooking, you name it, there is a required High School class for it but we are never taught how to properly deal with and manage our emotions. That really stuck with me because it so true.

We only send people or elect to go to counseling once we reach the verge of emotional break down. Its unfortunate more attention is not spent earlier in life on learning about our emotions, grief, coping in life, relationships, friendships. Even with all that I have been through I still don't always know the "right things to say" or always take the actions I should in everyday relationships.

Life is just plain hard and we want to protect our children from every hurt there is but the simple truth of that is we can't which is why we need to just be there and support them when bad things happen just as you have done and continue to do a great job of. Your son is learning a lot of lessons early in life and will be a stronger man for it someday.

CJ, You are such a good mom. What a good answer. You two make a good team and communicate wonderfully. {{HUGS}}

Yes, it sounds like you're doing a great job CJ. I'm glad your son is able to communicate so well with you. He is so lucky to have you. Sending a hug your way. kim

We continue to learn from you, daily. <hug>

CJ, you and your son are going to come out of this so much stronger. He is wise beyond his years. And I think you are so special. Love you!

Asantiago... funny you mention that. A few weeks ago I was reminiscing with a friend from my school days that when we were starting jr high, every 6th grader was required to take a year long class that was about self-esteem, emotional health, growing up, responsibility, societal obligations, sex ed, and all that kind of stuff. I don't know if they still offer it, but I really did learn a lot and I think we were a very close knit class for it. You're right... it's needed everywhere!

And CJ, he will be stronger for it!

Thanks, all. I don't know what has come over him. He is about to turn 12 and I hope it's a bit of maturity?

I am so glad to have the opportunity to see my son go through these stages, even if it has been punctuated by much pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back