Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
No idea why I should write this. Who could possibly benefit from it?

Packing up to move, putting all Krissy's things into a few boxes.

Away go the travels, the memories, the certificates into plain brown boxes.

Tears streaming down my face while waiting for the medicine to kick in.

It used to be easy, if expensive, to stay busy all day, outside the house.

Now the packing refuses to allow me to forget, to put off the heart wrenching.

One photo sticks on the top of my mind. A detail keeps coming back.

The young medical student, simple, plain, wearing the same smile I met years later.

Always wanting to please, willing to shoulder others' pains, dedicated to caring.

Never aware of sophisticated social politics or how others' ambitions could hurt her.

Innocent through middle age, quietly accepting the world, never an unkind word.

Consistently uncomplaining even through the progressing, incurable paralysis.

Until quietly her lungs succombed; but never her spirit, though tortured for months.

That smile. My stomach aches. My lungs shake. My heart breaks.

Finally, today the tears stream down my face. That smile.

I am truly sorry for your loss of Krissy Mike. I'm thinking of you seeing your pain and crying too.

Just so very very sorry

As a surviving CALS, I don't know what to do with some of the memorabilia.
As a man, I especially don't understand the wedding dress boxed in a vacuum bag. Never did.
Some paperwork gets kept, as though I might need it for benefits.
Some photos get kept, as though I'll somebody actually make a scrapbook.
Some clothing gets kept in the closet, because the memories are so good. Um, turns out that it's the nightshirts that have such good memories.
Elsewise, I donate a bunch of stuff.
The little dust-gathering trinkets, I suppose, someone in her family might want, so I'll invite her sisters to come by and make recommendations on what to do with some of her belongings.

Thanks for sharing your heart today. I had to go find the kleenex box too.

If I were you, I would save the sealed up wedding dress - your daughter might want to use it someday! I think that is what most women hope for when they have their dress preserved in that way. Or, she could tuck is little snip of it in her bra, or have a little ring pillow made if she doesn't want to use the whole dress. She could have a little piece of something that was so special to her mama with her. Just a thought.

*hugs* I haven't been up to going through Jason's things, but have been forced to, due to life going on. Suffice it to say, I understand. Jason was a writer and wrote some beautiful things.. .things I didn't see until after he died. My favorite, by far, was his view and feelings about the day we got married. It was beautiful and I will treasure it always, as you treasure that special picture. I know it hurts tremendously, but at the same time, so thankful for being able to love with all my heart and be loved by such an amazing person. *hugs*

Who could possibly benefit?

I think you just did, Mike. I know I did, too. We all share a common bond here. It helps to share so we know we are not alone.

I was very touched by your words.

Mike

We all benefit. From the pain you share with us, we understand. We've walked the walk and we share your pain.

I grieve every day too.

Today, I let the rep pick up the Tobii. We never even finished setting it up since we left for the hospital with his fourth bout of pneumonia.

At least another vet will be able to benefit from a device that Scott never got to use. That makes me sad. But I know that someone else will benefit from wonderful technology that allows ALS patients to communicate.

Mike I wish there was something positive to say..So hard..

Oh Mike,

all I can do is send you a big long hug baby. My heart is breaking for you and all the other former cals here.

it isn't fair.

So sorry Mike. As others have said, we've all benefited from your post, your words. We are all going through this too. Thank you. Take care, Mike.

Yasmin

We've all benefitted from all your words. There is no doubt in my mind what this wonderful, caring woman found in you. Tissue, please.

Sharing your heart....everyone benefits. Im sorry for your loss.

Rough day here and your words were just what was needed. Felt good to cry. You have the most tremendous love for Krissy and your words really benefit Cals--me included. Thank you for writing.

I benefitted. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back