Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Before my husband's behavior became erratic, he had made many friends and had made impressions on people we barely knew.

An acquaintance that works at a mega do-it-yourself store called this afternoon. I was hesitant to call her back, but she had called earlier this year and I did not get back with her. My intention was to go into the store and talk with her to let her know of Don's passing, as I didn't want to do it over the phone.

A little background: Her boyfriend's a Lou Gehrig "fan." He collects memorabilia and studied his life (and death). Lou Gehrig is his hero. Don was on a first name basis with just about everyone at that store. He used to be up there just about every day. This gal began to notice something was wrong with him. Don told her he had Lou Gehrig's disease and she lost it. Almost every time I would go up to the store she would see me and start crying. She's just such a sweet, caring person. She would always go out of her way to find a deal for us, even if it wasn't in her department.

Well, I called her back this afternoon and we went through the pleasantries and then I had to tell her Don passed away Jan. 24th. OMG! I hope she is OK! The poor girl started boohooing...I'm not talking a couple of sniffles, either! Gosh, I feel bad now. I wish I had let her know, so she could have come to the funeral, but she is not the only one I did not think of calling, as you can imagine. I promised her I would come visit her at the store some time soon. I just can't right now. I hate crying in public!

Like I said, you just never know who might have been impacted by your pALS life!

Hey CJ, change a few details and I can tell the exact same story. It really is amazing isn't' it. Thanks for putting it into black and white, so people do know.

Sometimes it seems like the people you think knew you the least are the most impacted by tragedy such as this! I think in part, it has to do with regret in not being there more, better friends, learning more from them, or appreciating them while they were here. But also, many people do well in hiding just how 'close' they are with each other. esp. with a disease as this because they don't want to get so close to be hurt.

Bless her CJ, and I remember them days of really not wanting to face people for awhile, for fear I would cry and breakdown. Got used to being strong too long.

CJ I suspect that Don somehow just touched her heart. He touched my heart--reading your stories about him over the years. You wouldn't want to bump into me in the near future. I would be a sobbing mess as I would try to say how I felt about you and him.
Laurel

Laurel, thank you so much! What you have said is most precious! Love to you and your husband! Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back