Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
MA
City
western
Although I was always careful with my back when I was a CALS, I still did plenty of lifting and precarious movements because it was necessary or the only solution given the space etc. Never had a real problem with my back other than some stiffness. I felt like I had far more wear and tear on joints.
Anyway, after my husband passed, wham! Bring me to my knees back spasms. Some minor random motion would take me out. After about 4 episodes and a daily fear that it would happen again I went to the doctor - which was essentially a complete waste of time. She suggested a chiropractor.
The chiropractor was awesome! After 3, 45 minute sessions I'm good as new and feel strong. Although I have insurance it wouldn't cover a chiropractor. The guy charged me $30 a session. So, for under $100 my back feels fantastic. Best $90 I've spent in a while!
Thought I'd share the experience since i'm sure i'm not the only one who needed some rehab after my PALS died.

I'll be heading to the chiropractor eventually! I desperately need relief! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you are doing well as can be, hon!

Wow, that's cheap for a chiro with no insurance coverage! I desperately need to go but keep putting it off cuz I'm too cheap to go. That and its hard to find the time to go. I need to just make the appt and GO! By the end of the day I can hardly walk.

I'm so glad you are feeling relief. Sometimes we don't realize how bad we really felt until we finally feel good again! I think i have forgotten what it feels like to just feel GOOD! Thanks for the note, I think I'll get myself into one asap.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I finally went and after just one adjustment I feel a million times better! I don't know why I put off such simple things like that for soooooo long! THANKS AGAIN!

Perhaps in your cases you got good results from appropriate treatments, but in general I HATE IT when I see people going to chiropractors without an MD's prescription. Hell, my Plumber was also a Chiro on weekends.

It's like seeing an optometrist instead of an opfthamologist.

First, get a mainstream doctor to diagnose whether a neuro, pain mgt, GP, IM, psych, chiro, acupuncturist, or orthropod is needed.

Chiro's ARE NOT TRAINED to diagnose nor prescribe treatments. Not in my book. They aren't trained in a wide enough range of differential diagnoses. (But they do make you "feel" better, so people keep thinking they're being properly treated.)

Just a question now: Do chiro's still use those old X-ray machines, or have they started to get 20th/21st century radiologist interpretations yet?

Don't know about the old x-ray machines. The chiro I saw spoke with me awhile (i'd already been referred by a GP -the doctor, who did nothing, didn't touch me, watched me do stretches , suggested seeing a physical therapist or chiropractor, and told me to continue doing what I had been doing which was taking advil and/or tylenol consistantly.) The chiro did explain that if his treatments weren't working then he would recommend MRIs. I'm glad i no longer need to take advil consistantly nor feel like at any moment some movement will incapcitate me to inching along the floor in pain, ready to vomit. I'm pretty sure it's been at least a month since the final treatment and no more back issues.

I haven't had very good experiences with doctors for the last several years.

I haven't had very good experiences with doctors for the last several years.

Keep looking for good MDs. I heard that half of them graduated in the bottom half of their class!:lol:

It's perfectly legit to schedule a "meet the doc" consultation and shop around.

I interviewed doctors when I got pregnant with my son. Sometimes, it didn't go well and I knew that wasn't the doctor for me. I found the OB that I ultimately used by asking the nurses at the hospital who they would see. I ended up with a brilliant doctor with whom I've had a wonderful relationship for over 26 years.

Do your homework.....it always pays off!

WHERE's the damn "LIKE" button?

I went for chiro treatments for years. It did make me feel better temporarily but my crooked spine always went back to it's crookedness and pain. I wish I had treated my body better when I was young! Anyway, I asked my PT what she thought of chiropractic care and she hesitently told me she didn't think much of it. I don't know. To each their own.

Mike, they've disabled the *like* button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back