Jason's Dream

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
As Usual
City
On My Own
Okay, I think I have talked to more then one person that has also said they hate the term:

WIDOW/WIDOWER​

I mean, I don't want to be associated with a spider that eats her mate. blech!

So lets vote for a new name for our new roll.

I'm curious to hear what new names we will come up with.

(Hopefully people will see this as fun and light-hearted)

~ Becca

I agree Becca! I will try to think of a good suggestion.

Glad to see you back, Becca.

Since there are more than just spouses, I like PERSEVERER, not survivor, not widow and not widower.

How about "HERO'S" ?

Becca
We are glad to see you back online. I was intrigued by your post and went to dictionary online to see what the history of the word included.

Origin:
1325–75; late Middle English ( see widow, -er1 ); replacing widow (now dial.), Old English wydewa

Definitely not this one! Dowager - A woman who holds some title or property from her deceased husband, especially the widow of a king, duke, etc. (often used as an additional title to differentiate her from the wife of the present king, duke, etc.): a queen dowager; an empress dowager.

I often read that word in books and was never sure of the meaning. We'll all keep thinking.

Give your kiddos an extra hug tomorrow.

Di, I think that works. HERO"s I like it. I am so glad to see Becca here:) I think all CALS & PALS are HERO'S & Amazing people. I think broken hearted would be a good description though:(

Becca I hope you and the kids are making out ok.

How about WARRIORS? I am not sure, but I get the feeling that the battle isn't over even though we walk alone...
(it starts with W)
My mom was widowed young, dad died of a heart attack. She is definitely warrior material.

I actually don't mind "widow". I was and in some ways continue to be all those other things... warrior, perserverer. I HATE hero. I promised "in sickness and in health" and simply upheld that vow. Widow clearly and concisely indicates that one part of my journey has ended and another has begun.

I'm with you, Katie. At least the term "widow" still honors our marriage. It seems like everything else (applications, 1099s, forms) all dismiss it when they only allow me to hit the "single" box. That absolutely tears me up.

But nowadays we are considered heroes, as so many just walk away. Even the pastor officiating my husband's funeral pointed out that not many would have stood by their spouse in the face of this disease. I didn't like hearing that, but it is true.

May I clarify what I meant by Hero....

Hero = A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life for someone else, somebody who commits an act of remarkable bravery or who has shown an admirable quality such as great courage or strength of character. A person of great character and love who puts the needs of another above their own till the bitter end.

Katie C, by you honoring your vows, "in sickness and health" , your purpose, shows me you are woman with great charater, true till the end, sacrificing your wants and needs for the love you had for another, great courage in the midst of a devastating and horrible disease, facing the challenge head on, fighting with honor, care and love till the end.

As a pALS all of you caretakers (wives, husbands, son's, daughters, grandchildren, friends, nurses) are heroes to me in caring for your loved ones who so desperately need you with strength, courage, purpose to help all you can and with selflessness. Thank you all.

I am sorry if I offened you with my suggestion.

I know I wasn't offended!

"Family Girl"/"Family Guy", honors your family and the life you made with your spouse.

I'm afraid I would just keep picturing myself as Lois Griffin on "Family Guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back