Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I really appreciate the support! My daughter is still in the hospital, but is slated to most likely come home tomorrow. It has been a long week. She was in surgery for over 5 hours on Monday, and after it was done, required 2 units of blood, and a plasma infusion. She did not leave recovery until after 11 PM. She is still anemic, and her doctors had been on the fence as to whether to give her another unit or not, but, she was doing much much better today, so they're going to let her build back up just with iron supplements. (her RBC was 13.5 before surgery started, and tonight still was only at 7. At one point it was hovering at almost 9 but it drifted back down again.)

Several of you knew she had fibroid tumors that were quite large. She is a skinny minnie, but she was asymptomatic, so she was unaware for a long time. The doctor said the largest (the type that grows on a stalk) was up against her kidney, not where it would bulge out much, and the bulk of the others were in the uterine wall, but on the back side of the uterus. All in all they removed 10 tumors. She kept all of her reproductive organs, and can still bear children. Her gynecologist estimated that all tumors combined into one would have been as large as a volley ball. So, the bleeding she had was due to the extensive amount of cutting, not because she had a bleeding event.

Its been a rough week. A friend of hers drove down from Pittsburgh yesterday night late, and is staying with her, so I finally got to come home. I caught something while at Hopkins (where her surgery was) so, I've got a nasty cough. (great, right!)

Anyway, instead of trying to send so many individual messages to those who have inquired, I thought I'd just post over on this new OT forum (yes Al, I'm happy )

Hugs to you all. and BTW I uploaded some more puppy pictures in Ernie's album on my profile page.

Glad to hear that your daughter will be coming home soon. Can't imagine the stress you've been under! Take care of yourself too. Am going to see Ernie's new photos.

I am very glad she has pulled through it okay. I hope she continues to heal quickly with no future problems.

Wow , I am so glad she is coming through this.

Please take care of yourself so she can lean on Mom while she heals.

Glen

Rose, I am so glad that she is doing OK.

Hi Rose.

I am glad your daughter is recovering.

Get some rest yourself too

Cheers
Peter

It has to be tough when you find out a child of yours has tumors. I'm glad she is recovering and I hope you are able to quickly shake the bug you picked up at Hopkins.

PZ

Hang in there Rose. Glad you're happy and daughter is on the mend.

AL.

good news is such a welcome to hear take a good nite sleep

Rose, I am very relieved that your daughter is coming through this so well! Please tell her she's got a whole team of people rooting for her. She's lucky to have you, Rose. Hope you shake that bug really really fast!

Sending lots of happy and healthy thoughts your way...

Rosella

Ditto what everybody else said! Now it's time to take care of YOU!

The size of a volleyball, wow. Glad to hear that the surgery went well and your daughter is on the mend. Hope all goes well for a continued recovery for her. Hope you can get some rest and get over your bug quickly too.
Dana

Its official, she's being released sometime today :)

That's great that she is coming home today....there's no place like home.
I hope you feel better also....get some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back