Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
This lovely lady moved in yesterday. My husband caught her winching herself up the doorframe and parking herself above the door where all the wasps like to rattle around- and which have now all disappeared. She's welcome to them. Her leg span is about that of a silver dollar.

We're a spider friendly house here and don't mind sharing space provided everyone behaves themselves. An orb weaver took care of our fruit fly issue in less than a day with a web between our fruit bowl and the countertop composter in the summer. I'm just interested to know what this large spider is in the off chance she'd be better off outside for some reason.

Attachments

• spider3.jpg
    spider3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 208
  • spider2.jpg
    spider2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 189
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 193
I love these challenges.

I'm thinking an Araneus diadematus. Also called Garden cross spider. Furry legs and cross on the back are peculiar (and a little freaky).

What do you think?

Annabelle, I think you’re right. The cross on the back is characteristic. They weave orb webs. Their range includes Southern Canada.

And they are garden spiders. So if this one overstays her welcome, she can be transported outdoors.

Thank you! I was was looking at the wrong spider id sites. They'd have the cross, but the legs were smooth or unmarked, or the abdomen would be the wrong shape, etc. The Garden Cross looks like the most likely candidate.

She has made a little nest in the corner of the window above the door in which a much smaller spider has established itself- I can only assume it's her mate.

We're ok with spiders indoors, as they take care of insects who don't belong inside. They're in an out of the way place, so we shall leave them undisturbed for now.

Thank you again!

:shock: Speaking of spiders.....we have the attached type appear in our yard the last three years. (Argiope Aurantia (Black and Yellow Garden Spider) This year we saw two.

*I call it a "zig-zag" spider because of the design in the web, as seen in the photo. My attitude: all spiders should live outdoors. Especially the Black Widow, discovered in the garage. May blessings abound. B.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back