Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
not sure if it is appropriate part of this forum, but i couldnt find better place.
i found this movie
tour de force / Hin und weg
how people celebrate life as they never did before after they become aware what ALS is.
i have link in german, but no way to find english subtitles.
can anybody help?
admin, if this place is not appropriate, please remove this.
thx

I guess this subtitle might work. Here.
Seems like a good movie. :)

I'm pretty comfortable with German and would be greatful for the link.

I posted a link to a subtitle that might work, waiting for mod approval! But I'd like the link too!! :grin:

that is all i have found.
i dont understand german, but one girl told me (maybe it is comfort) that it is about FALS. please, inform me about that on pm/whatever, because, there are some reasons...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2qxjDGOjM

Wow...........no words needed.

Youtube is hell with subtitles, there's a google chrome extension called "Subtitles for Youtube" and you can upload one, but it's out of sync. I found the movie here, you can upload the subtitles directly from the pc and they work very well. I attached the subtitles to make it easier.

PS.: some pop-ups on that website, so anyone with limited hand movements, be careful.

The subtitles. Just noticed that .srt is an invalid format for attachments here.

Attachments

• hin.und.weg.(2014).eng.1cd.(6207501).zip
    23 KB · Views: 166
I have not seen the movie, only read a couple critiques, not to well-received. From what I gather ALS seems not to be the main topic but a mere backstory for a drastic decision and a big adventure.
One said that the character was diagnosed with ALS same as his father. Another said the only times when you "notice" his disease is when he needs to stop cycling earlier than his friends. It's mostly a roadmovie about friendship and hedonism with a bit of assisted suicide to lend it some color.

Oh, I thought that Belgium thing was leading to assisted suicide. But from what I've seen he's mostly fine during the whole movie right? Hard to find a good depiction of ALS in movies, had some hopes for this one.

I think assisted suicide it's where it's ending, yes.

Documentaries are more likely to get real. Still it often feels upbeat and not very close to the emotional rollercoaster most PALS and CALS are on.
I could imagine that books are a way better medium so transport what's going on. Movies are visual and the look of a warped body trapped in tubes and dressings is likely to draw the focus away from the inner workings of coping, love and devastation.

Yes, I feel that most documentaries on diseases out there lack subjectivity. Emotions are harder to represent and emotional scenes usually are crammed in there to have more of a melodramatic effect.

Books are the perfect medium to express convoluted personal emotions going on in our brains. But I believe some movies can express this lyricism visually.

Still Alice, for example. You could immerse yourself in Alice's downward spiral into Alzheimer's. A remarkable feat - considering they were representing the process of losing the very sense of self.

But in the end, those movies are outliers. It's tough to capture the nuances of the emotions linked to diseases like ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back