12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Re: "What keeps you going" thread.

I didn't want to take that thread of the rails so here... if I may.

Brad and i shared two replies concerning shooting. I feel the need to say this...

I do not own an AR15 or any pistol grip assault type rifle. The thought never crossed my mind to buy one or own one. A pistol grip assault rifle is for one purpose........ you probably thought wrong.

A pistol grip assault rifle is a rifle designed to be fired with one hand. This allows the other hand free to access another clip easily or any other needed equipment in a combat situation.

I carried a pistol grip assault rifle in Viet Nam... an M16. That was many years ago but I still remember it's lethal capability... well.

The gun club I belonged to years ago and was a Range Safety Officer at did not allow silhouette targets (human/animal), bulls eye targets only. Rapid fire was not allowed. The range was open to the public Saturdays only. Only one firearm was allowed at each shooting station. And... we watched for "Gun Nuts". We had a saying, "Gun nuts... end up in gun incidents."

Karen, responsible gun ownership requires common sense. I no longer belong to the NRA.

To all... forgive me for going off if this Thread isn't appropriate for the Forum. Mods... remove if so.

Had to get it off my chest.

Al, it must be hard to keep the politics out of gun ownership in this current climate but you've done an admirable job.

If anyone feels their previous posts need to be moved to this one, let me know and I'll put them here. A hobby is a hobby.

Search terms "adaptive hunting" bring up a fair number of outfits that supply folks with varied hand/mobility issues. Disabled Sports USA also has some resources.

So I’ll put in my 2 cents. I’m not a gun owner. However, I respect responsible gun owners. I think target shooting sounds like a neat hobby. I did archery for a while in college and thought it was pretty fun. I know they’re very different, but there are parallels.

Al, your comment about “responsible gun ownership requires common sense” ... I couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately common sense is not very common.

I don’t like the NRA. I’ll stop there.

Al,

Thanks for saying "assault STYLE rifle" about the AR15.

Thanks Greg...

If anyone would need the full capability of a pistol grip assault style rifle with several 20 round clips to defend their home... they would have been in a gun battle that would make world wide news. Undoubtedly there would be innocent collateral damage.

Thanks for the replies. I'd bet others would like to move on to another topic.

One of my other hobbies is bird feeders. Ann calls me the "Bird Whisperer." I've got several hurt ones going again. Including a screech owl. Turned her over to the local college.

Anywhooo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back