07/2013
Country
DE
State
Germany
City
Jossgrund
Steven Hawkins passed away. RIP

Misleadingly long lived this prominent figurehead of ALS.
Rest in π-s, Stephen Hawking!

I like the pi-s (I don’t have the pi symbol on my phone). We shall miss Dr. Hawking, but his legacy lives on. This probably all needs to be moved to the obituary forum.
Moderators?

Rest in peace Stephen Hawking.

One of his quotes that is my favorite below...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

And...

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet,"

RIP You are now free.

Last edited:
"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet,"
Made me laugh, thanks, Al.

Everyone should remember Hawking: he will continue to inspire in so many different ways.

Stephen will be remembered for so many important contributions to this world, what a man he was.

His first wife Jane was one of the most amazing CALS too for the very many years she put her life and self completely aside for him, and yet did not completely lose herself.

RIP man, I hope you are flying right through those black holes and laughing at the freedom of being out of that body and knowing all that you figured out here.

During the 1988 Christmas Season, my wife and I were shopping at Debenhams in Cambridge. We had our arms full of packages, waiting for the elevator on the second floor. When the elevator doors open, I started to step forward, but stopped short and almost fell as a gentleman in a wheelchair was exiting the elevator. Yup, I nearly fell on Steven Hawking. I was totally embarrassed and all I could muster was 'Sorry'.

Hawking will be cremated at a later date and his ashes are to be interred at London's Westminster Abbey near the remains of fellow scientist... Isaac Newton.

I confess to finding it a bit odd that he is being interred on holy ground, and that the ceremony is on Easter weekend- an incredibly holy and spiritually reverent and meaningful time. He was an avowed atheist and repeatedly expressed his thoughts on Creation, Heaven (a "fairy story") and The Almighty. He was an avowed unbeliever and openly stated religion was obsolete and just a stop gap till Science explained natural phenomenon. I understand the logic in his being interred near some of the other great thinkers and discoverers of the modern Western philosophical and scientific age and the reverence afforded them- but the association with a church is funny to me. I am sure he'd find the humour in it.

Stephen Hawking may have contradicted himself one time when he said...

“I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science, The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws.”

Oooops.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back