How to make things easier revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ordered from amazon something called a popsocket. It hasn't arrived but idea looked helpful it sticks to the back of your phone or tablet and when popped out you can hold your device in the v between any two fingers. There is also some way to use it as a stand.

The idea as is seems useful. I am wondering if it might have other uses as well

I had a Ring Pro installed. It's a doorbell with a high def camera. It also has a motion sensor which, for now, I keep turned off. If someone rings my door, I can talk to them and see them on my iPhone. When it was installed, my doorbell didn't work right so I got an accessory that plugs in and extends the ring. Now it is VERY loud.

I also ordered an Apple Watch Series 3. If I'm in the bed I won't need my iPhone and......heck, I just got it because it was cool. :cool::lol::lol::lol:

Amazon Alexa.

It will read books, give the news, set reminders, play music.

It can turn lights on or off, lock doors, turn the heat up. With an optional smart home hub.

There are currently four different messaging and calling capabilities, including the ability to use your home phone line, which enables calling 911. This latter capability is via an add on Alexa Connect device coming in December.

I bought the Ring Video Doorbell and installed it yesterday.

This morning my breaker was flipped and when I flipped it back on, my door bell started going off repeatedly until I flipped the breaker back off.

I called the company and learned that the power to my existing doorbell was DC power and Ring only works of AC power.

I can not use the old doorbell to chime with the new Ring system but that would mean I would have to use it as battery powered which would mean I would have to take it down and recharge it when the batteries get low which is not what I wanted sooooo.... I am looking to replace my old doorbell so it will work with the new system.

This is just an FYI to anyone looking to purchase a doorbell system.

I also purchased the Roomba 690 vacuum. It works really well. I bought the low end one for $299. The only problem I have had so far is that when it is in progress and the battery dies, it dies where ever it is at the time. The first time that happened, it was under the bed in the master bedroom, not the easiest place to retrieve it from.

They do make one that will take it back to the base whenever the battery gets low so that it an recharge. To me, that would be much better but of course comes at a price.

Just another FYI!

Greg,

I have three Echos in my condo and they play my audio books and Amazon music songs. I really want to set up a smart thermostat that works with them. What else do I need besides the actual thermostat? Do I need a smart home hub? I'm thinking there will be Black Friday sales for some of these things and I have a Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Kim,

Amazon is also coming out with an Alexa that also contains a smart hub But it supports only one Smarthome protocol.

I would suggest either the Wink hub or the SmatrtThings hub. They're quite similar and support more than one protocol.

From what I read they both work well with Alexa. The downside for both is that a cellphone is required for initial setup of the various devices (light switches, door locks, etc). But after initial setup Alexa is all that's needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for any input on making it easier

THINGS I THINK ARE EASIER;
1. hook my Foot on bottom of car door to assist in getting out of the car
2. Buy "dragon speak naturally for home" to offset typing fatigue.
3. Attach a walking light to my walking stick for the better visibility at night, it also helps other people to avoid you when walking on a crowded street.
4. Never walk on stairs with socks on
5. Buy Amazon Echo and program lights etc.
6. Mount dry erase board to list all of the minor things that I cannot do anymore, so a friend can stop by and help

NOT FIGURED OUT YET:
1. How to offset the fatigue in my arms when I eat.
2. Getting up and down off of couches and chairs that are lower than KNEE level
3. Trying to sleep for more than four hours at a time, waking up and sitting in a chair for two hours then going back to sleep for four more hours
4. Trying to reduce the strain on my neck muscles that seem to weaken as I get tired, and my head begins to tip forward.

Last edited:
Hi Jhettinger. With respect to the low couches, I went to the hardware store and bought some longer legs to replace the short legs on two of our couches when my pals started having trouble getting out of them. They added a few inches to the seat height and it helped him a lot.

I also had my nightstand and table next to the lift chair built up so it is at a better height.

I think high toilets and grab bars in every bathroom is just a good idea for people in general. That's the first thing I did in the three bathrooms. My friends, who have various "conditions" have thanked me for it.

Another thing that is good for remodels is outlets inside drawers and in closets. My master closet is very large and I can park the chair in it and recharge it.

I also had my closet redone making the shelves lower and more accessible. The top shelves are now used for longer-term storage.

Key hangers placed at accessible height near the door.

Still debating on an automatic front door opener. I have keyless entry but I or someone else has to open the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back