Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I think sometimes people are not sure or have different ideas.

Aside from the rule that DIHALS stay in DIHALS it can be confusing and there are not hard and fast rules.

Some categories are pretty clear like in Memoriam. Others not so much.

For most ALS issues if you are looking for input from anyone who might know I think General Discussion is appropriate. I believe both PALS and CALS read there

If you are a CALS please post things that are about the stresses and difficulties of caregiving in the CALS section. Many PALS will read the CALS secion but they do so at their own risk. The moderators have on rare occasion moved a discussion from general to CALS because it was distressing for some PALS to read.

As a general rule the PALS section is a place for PALS and the CALS section is for CALS. If you looking for an opinion specifically from " the other half" it is fine to post in their subforum as recently happened.

It is almost always fine to reply to any thread. The major exception would when the original poster has indicated in the title CALS only or PALS only. Please respect this

Sometimes things could fit in more than one place, sometimes the mods will move threads. Mostly everyone just uses common sense I think and it usually works out

just some thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to post this Nikki, it makes perfect sense :)

I believe strongly in the privacy of PALS, and also the privacy of CALS.

In fact, sometimes I'll reply to a thread, then realize it's a PALS thread, so I'll erase my post and hope I didn't get noticed. In my mind, people need to be able to express themselves privately without upsetting the other half.

Thank you, Nikki, for providing some general guidelines. I try to be respectful to everyone with my posts... and more so, when someone asks for a specific group to respond. But I also feel that we're all in the same dance together. I will add to a thread if I believe I have something positive to offer... and rarely look to see what the actual location of that thread might be. We will live together and we'll die together... but most importantly, we'll all be "together"...

Much respect to each of you!

Jim

I agree Jim we are indeed in this together

Mike, I thought about that issue a lot. I suspect that was how things were meant to be. I looked at some recent threads in both areas though and it seemed as if most were seeking answers from anyone. The PALS had questions about bipap and hoyers that were answered by CALS too and I am sure the answers were appreciated. There were general issues in CALS too. The mods could start putting things into general but not sure that is necessary

Maybe everyone just think hard on the posts that are not asking practical questions. I think most of the time we learn from hearing different viewpoints.

I do admit to occasional concern that some PALS being unable to make long posts quickly may go quiet which is why calling all PALS started

Last edited:
I post my questions about ALS in the General because usually the CALS are quick to answer. It's hard for PALS to post lengthy answers, sometimes. If I have an emotional need I would probably post it in PALS section or if it's very emotional, I go to rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back