07/2016
Country
Uk
State
Hertfordshire
City
Stevenage
Hi guys
Was wondering if anyone could provide advice as to how pet safe magnesium oils are?

I have started using it to relieve cramp in my legs, it is really helping but my cat licks my legs and feet a lot, I don't want to poison the poor animal! If I am awake I stop her but when I am asleep I have no control and am worried it is bad for her.

Ta Wendy x

I was reading on the website for the magnesium oil I use and it says you can put a teaspoon into your dogs drinking water.

If you are using magnesium chloride rather than magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) ...

oh you can also try putting a moisturiser over the top of the oil if you want to dissuade your cat - something with a eucalyptus oil in it might do the trick?

Ah Tillie thanks for that
It is magnesium chloride, the web site of the brand I used had no pet information. I will try the lotion approach first and see if that puts her off. It is working so well I didn't want to have to stop using it.

Wendy x

Wendy,
I just got my magnesium oil yesterday. It's MagnumSolace "Dead Sea Magnesium Oil." Ingredients are purified water, dead sea magnesium chloride, and natural trace minerals. My dog tasted it. Then I tasted it. It tastes like salt. He decided he didn't like it as much as the coconut oil I use. He follows me in the shower when he smells coconut oil.
What brand to you use?

I use ancient minerals brand and totally swear by it. I do sometimes put a moisturiser over the top of it but not sorbolene, for some reason it makes sorbolene kind of clump up :)

Hi Kim
I bought Seven Minerals magnesium oil with aloe Vera, to be honest I just looked on Amazon and this one had good reviews. It's purified magnesium chloride purified water and whole leaf organic aloe Vera. It has been very helpful.
Tinkerbell (never allow kids to name animals!) however seemed to love the salty taste, I have been shoving lavender body lotion over the top now and she hates the taste of that so is leaving me alone. She actually sulked for a few days.
Wendy x

Having had a dog think magnesium oil was the absolute BEST flavour to baste myself with, I can assure you it causes diarrhea in very large amounts, but does no lasting harm.

If your cat has a drive to lick the stuff, it may be she needs a supplement.

She has always licked a lot ever since she was a kitten, so don't think she needs anything extra but I will check with the vet at her next yearly overhaul. It's never really been a problem until I started coating myself in chemicals lol
Wendy x

ah Lavender was a good choice - animals don't like the taste of that.

Great solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back