Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
My wife and I are driving to Toronto on Thursday July 2nd we will see a Bluejays baseball game that night and then we where going to try and do some downtown shopping on Bloor street (Googled to find best street for shopping). For the Fourth we will be at Niagara Falls for fireworks before heading for home. Any suggestions from our Ontario friends on what we should not miss?

Hockey hall of fame!

In niagara falla if you are able do the maid of the mist boat ride. Its amazing. I don't remember if it is wheelchair friendly.

CN tower is awesome if heights are your thing.

Here are some photos from the trip to Toronto;

Attachments

• DSC07536.JPG
    DSC07536.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC07539.jpg
    DSC07539.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • DSC07534.jpg
    DSC07534.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • DSC07561.jpg
    DSC07561.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 190
  • DSC07593.jpg
    DSC07593.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • DSC07602.jpg
    DSC07602.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
and Niagara Falls (Canadian side);

Attachments

• DSC07611.jpg
    DSC07611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
  • DSC07640.jpg
    DSC07640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • DSC07645.jpg
    DSC07645.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 215
  • DSC07656.jpg
    DSC07656.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
  • DSC07682.JPG
    DSC07682.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 180
  • DSC07686.JPG
    DSC07686.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 172
I wasn't impressed with any of the shopping in Toronto when we went. We did enjoy going up in the CNN tower. But, all in all we didn't care for Toronto. My family loved Niagara Falls though. I have this big thing about not having my hair wet especially in public. But, the Maid of The Mist ride was well worth getting wet. Hope you have a nice trip. The Canadians talk a different type of English and I had a very hard time understanding them.

We had a great trip. Being from upstate NY the English was not that different for me. My wife who is from Pennsylvania did have troubles on occasion, same when we visit Minnesota, she has trouble I am fine. In the south though she was constantly translating for me over the 4 years we lived in Georgia.

Glad you had a great trip Pete!

The Canadians talk a different type of English and I had a very hard time understanding them.

We're not that bad, eh? LoL.

Nice pics -- and nice framing. Glad you had a lovely holiday. Thanks for sharing.

The first time I went to London I didn't understand a word anybody said for four days.

>The first time I went to London I didn't understand a word anybody said for four days

same w/ SYD :)

1. Arvo: afternoon

2. Barbie: barbeque

3. Bogan: redneck, an uncultured person. According to the Australian show Bogan Hunters, a real bogan sports a flanno (flannel shirt), a mullet, missing teeth, homemade tattoos (preferably of the Australian Flag or the Southern Cross), and has an excess of Australia paraphernalia. This "species of local wildlife" can be found by following their easily distinguishable tracks from burnouts or the smell of marijuana.

4. Bottle-O: bottle shop, liquor store

5. Chockers: very full

6. Esky: cooler, insulated food and drink container

7. Fair Dinkum: true, real, genuine

8. Grommet: young surfer

9. Mozzie: mosquito

10. Pash: a long passionate kiss. A pash rash is red irritated skin as the result of a heavy make-out session with someone with a beard.

11. Ripper: really great

12. Roo: kangaroo. A baby roo, still in the pouch, is known as a Joey

13. Root: sexual intercourse. This one can get really get foreigners in trouble. There are numerous stories about Americans coming to Australia telling people how they love to "root for their team." If you come to Australia, you would want to use the word "barrack" instead. On the same note, a "wombat" is someone who eats roots and leaves.

14. Servo: gas station. In Australia, a gas station is called a petrol station. If you ask for gas, don’t be surprised if someone farts.

15. She’ll be right: everything will be all right

16. Sickie: sick day. If you take a day off work when you are not actually sick it’s called chucking a sickie.

17. Slab: 24-pack of beer

18. Sook: to sulk. If someone calls you a sook, it is because they think you are whinging

19. Stubbie holder: koozie or cooler. A stubbie holder is a polystyrene insulated holder for a stubbie, which is a 375ml bottle of beer.

20. Sweet as: sweet, awesome. Aussies will often put ‘as’ at the end of adjectives to give it emphasis. Other examples include lazy as, lovely as, fast as and common as.

21. Ta: thank you

22. Togs: swim suit

23. Tradie: a tradesman. Most of the tradies have nicknames too, including brickie (bricklayer), truckie (truckdriver), sparky (electrician), garbo (garbage collector) and chippie (carpenter).

24. Ute: Utility vehicle, pickup truck

25. Whinge: whine

Attachments

• 11665678_10153409612842389_2151369530360423527_n.jpg
    11665678_10153409612842389_2151369530360423527_n.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 157
Fair suck of the sav Max - aren't they all normal words?

I will just add that a joey is also a young koala in pouch.

Most aussie blokes are wombats.

Bogans have morphed a bit now and they don't always appear the way you described, in fact it can take up to two sentences to leave their mouths before you realise holy shit it's another bogan!

I've always wanted to visit Australia, but now I think I'd never get the language right! :)
--Mike

Growing up in upstate New York and for awhile seeming to spend more time there than in NY, I have no trouble with their manner of speech. Many upstate NY people speak in a.similar fashion.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back