Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
"Last Week Tonight" was revealing. There are over 4 million people in US territories that can't vote for Prez, and have no vote in CONgress. . Puerto Rico, Guam, etc. are at least US citizens, but not American Samoa. (I don't know why I had to show my passport when I entered Guam for a month one week in 1983.) You know the history of ALS in Guam.

One-eighth of the adults in Guam are veterans, yet they are at the very bottom in VA per capita spending at $822. per year. They are expected to travel 3,800 miles to Hawaii for serious VA care. It's even worse for American Samoa.

It was decided in 1901 they shouldn't become states because the people are aliens of color.

I saw the same show. I lived on Guam when I served in the Navy during the 70s. I'm sure the current Congress won't do anything about it. Too bad, too. I agree that they should get a vote.

Not only the above, but the US military owns 25% of Guam's land.

The advantage of being in a Territory, like Puerto Rico, you are not subject to the same IRS tax.
For those moving to Puerto Rico to become residences there - only pay 4% in taxes.

You CAN vote for the President in the Primary Election, not the General. But since you can't vote in the General, there is NO TAXATION without REPRESENTATION.

See Puerto Rico ACT 20 and ACT 22.

However - if you remain a US residence, but live in a territory - you CAN vote in the General Election, but you give up your tax benefits.

Vote or Tax Savings, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back