Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I just received a Christmas newsletter from a couple I know slightly. They live in another country, we have no mutual friends but have happily exchanged Christmas greetings for some years
The husband has been diagnosed with ALS. I suspected this was coming from comments made last year about symptoms.
If It were another terminal illness I would write a brief note of commiseration and good wishes but somehow that seems false but writing back hey me too! Seems odd as well. I did not mention it in my card to them nor have I discussed my family as they do not know them

Consider how lost, confused and despairing we all felt at the diagnosis.

I would think a brief note similar to the following would both be in order and welcome:

"I was very sorry to learn of your MND diagnosis. You may not be aware of the familial ALS in my family: I too have been diagnosed with MND.

I have personal experience and knowledge of online resources that could be useful to you. I would be happy to help, please feel free to ask."

To mix metaphors, this opens the door but leaves the ball in their court.

Greg is a smart man. Well said.

Greg said it brilliantly.

I would reach out to them just as Greg wrote. They might be so grateful to have someone who understands what they are going through reach out to them.

Thanks Greg and all

Greg was perfect on spot..just cut and paste. also you should invite them to the forum--

>Greg is a smart man. Well said.

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back