Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Hi, Mike -- I have been trying to figure if Sandy will get any survivor's comp from the va -- and ideas where to look?

It's be in the book, "Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors." VA Pamphlet 80-13-01 P94663 - - page 112.

I took out the $10K life insurance policy. It's over $100/mo., so a 100 month gamble I'd gladly lose.

My PVA rep says spouse gets $1.2K/mo. She's getting CHAMPVA, which pays all med and meds after other insurance has paid.

GB

Max- Yes, the VA will pay some percentage (GB's number sounds similar to what I have heard) of your VA disability. And that 10K in life insurance is a great deal: with the 100% disability, it's supposed to be paid by the VA...so it's free to you.

Max- Yes, the VA will pay some percentage (GB's number sounds similar to what I have heard) of your VA disability. And that 10K in life insurance is a great deal: with the 100% disability, it's supposed to be paid by the VA...so it's free to you.

This is correct. You just have to send them a copy of your award letter from the va showing 100 percent service connected disability. If you want more than that you have to pay the difference

Hi, Mike -- I have been trying to figure if Sandy will get any survivor's comp from the va -- and ideas where to look?

Good lord, man! Has no one told you about your benefits? I'm aghast.

In the new Veterans sticky, read numbers 18 through 23 closely.

When a P&T veteran dies of a service-connected condition, his surviving spouse receives a substantial Dependency Indemnity Compensation for the rest of her life. Plus there is a Dependents Educational Assistance for 45 months of college tuition, plus the VA pays $2000 toward the funeral and burial. Your state VA may be aware of additional state benefits.

Plus there is both Life Insurance and Mortgage Insurance. Your PVA rep should help you fill out the forms on his computer and send them to the proper office.

Always happy to help, just ask.

> Dependency Indemnity Compensatio

I must have mis-read that -- I thought it was death while on active service. I'll look again.

>his surviving spouse receives a substantial Dependency Indemnity Compensation for the rest of her life.

is there a percentage?

Oh yeah, forgot about the mortgage insurance. That was a HUGE relief when PVA told me about it...obviously not so huge I remembered today, but still.

> Dependency Indemnity Compensatio

I must have mis-read that -- I thought it was death while on active service. I'll look again.

>his surviving spouse receives a substantial Dependency Indemnity Compensation for the rest of her life.

is there a percentage?

It's a flat rate, the same for everybody.
Basic Rate = $1215 monthly.
For each child under 18, add $301.
(or a child 18-23 in college)

Mike, The one thing I wasnt clear on was...is the benefit income dependent? In one area it talks about the pension survivor benefit.being income dependent and in others it seems income restriction may be waved. Do you know?

Hey Max, I've been through this with my mom. The pension is income dependent. DIC, which is about 1.2K, is not. You want to look up Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

Mike, The one thing I wasnt clear on was...is the benefit income dependent? In one area it talks about the pension survivor benefit.being income dependent and in others it seems income restriction may be waved. Do you know?

What Nuts said. The VA's DIC compensation is not income dependent.

Where did you see the income restriction statement?

VA pension is different from VA disability

Just checked w pva ... Survivors benefit is fixed amount $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back