Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
va
City
richmond
Thought we might try this as a way to vent things that don't fit in other places.

One thing that really irritates me is when a dihals says they've read the stickies when it's obvious by their question that they haven't. It's all I can do to refrain from calling them a bunch of nasty things

Have you noticed that severe anxiety patients will compose many paragraphs longer than any they'll take the time to read?

I know. Before Dusty did the one sticky it was possible they tried and just got overwhelmed. No excuse for it now. I am tempted to answer sticky lines 20-23 or whatever.

When the dihals come on here and won't take no for answer.
When they act like the forum is just for them and want to hang around and discuss issues.
I'm not talking about the ones that really might be ALS,

It would not be quite as bad Al if they actually used paragraphs, punctuation proper spelling... It is so hard to read run on sentences laced with texting abbreviations that go on forever

One guy was literally almost making me high with his posts and run on sentences. I know I'm really poor anymore with punctuation and spelling but some are just plain awful.

>When the dihals come on here and won't take no for answer.
When they act like the forum is just for them and want to hang around and discuss issues.

i buillt a new hotkey for them today:

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

I no longer post or reply above "Off Topic" because my diagnosis is not ALS. But, if I still did... there's one up there now I'd light up. Won't take - no - go - leave - for an answer. Anywhoooo... now it's leave it to those who are best to reply.

PS. I do read them for entertainment purposes only. Except the ones that jump out as sincere.

Why oh why do they keep coming back with the same old crap.
This morning, 'saw a neuro, said no. But I '
You get the idea. Tees me off. Really glad calmer people are handling it. It's not like we don't have enough to deal with without people wanting us to be their psych councilor too. Actually enjoy helping people here that are dealing with ALS but got no time for hypochondriacs.

The DIHALS are annoying for sure....I can't even read them any longer. It's as if they are the same person, very long winded....and giving every possible health issue, be it real or imagined.

I wonder when they say, "body wide twitches" if they aren't confusing that with good old fashion shivers from not wearing enough clothes and having the air conditioning set too low. :)

I do not find it the least wrong to remind that it is obvious from their question that they have not read the sticky. I am going to start doing that now.

If they still want to ask questions after reading the sticky, they can rephrase and say; "I have read the sticky, but I don't understand/I am still worried/I still want to ask.

Some of the blame for their persistence may lay right at the door step of the ALS Association itself. Below is their description of onset symptoms of ALS...

(At the onset of ALS the symptoms may be so slight that they are frequently overlooked. With regard to the appearance of symptoms and the progression of the illness, the course of the disease may include the following:
•muscle weakness in one or more of the following: hands, arms, legs or the muscles of speech,
swallowing or breathing
•twitching (fasciculation) and cramping of muscles, especially those in the hands and feet
•impairment of the use of the arms and legs
•"thick speech" and difficulty in projecting the voice
•in more advanced stages, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and swallowing

The initial symptoms of ALS can be quite varied in different people. One person may experience tripping over carpet edges, another person may have trouble lifting and a third person's early symptom may be slurred speech. The rate at which ALS progresses can be quite variable from one person to another. Although the mean survival time with ALS is three to five years, many people live five, ten or more years. In a small number of people, ALS is known to remit or halt its progression, though there is no scientific understanding as to how and why this happens. Symptoms can begin in the muscles of speech, swallowing or in the hands, arms, legs or feet. Not all people with ALS experience the same symptoms or the same sequences or patterns of progression. But, progressive muscle weakness and paralysis are universally experienced.

Muscle weakness is a hallmark initial sign in ALS, occurring in approximately 60% of patients. Early symptoms vary with each individual, but usually include tripping, dropping things, abnormal fatigue of the arms and/or legs, slurred speech, muscle cramps and twitches and/or uncontrollable periods of laughing or crying.

The hands and feet may be affected first, causing difficulty in lifting, walking or using the hands for the activities of daily living such as dressing, washing and buttoning clothes.)

Nothing about clinical weakness vs perceived weakness, nothing about feeling vs failure, nothing about pain vs no pain.

They read the above... and they are locked in. The second paragraph from the bottom sure doesn't help either!

After reading a few others like this one from the ALS Association... I have a better understanding now for some no sticky would easily convince them they don't have ALS.

Suggestion to my post above... maybe a headline above the DIHALS Sticky.

**REGARDLESS TO WHAT YOU MAY HAVE READ ON MED WEB SITES AND THE INTERNET. HERE ARE THE FACTS CONCERNING ALS**

Al, great point. The ALSA bullet points are so incorrect and misleading it makes you wonder who wrote them... and irritates me.

And, or course, google doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back