Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
What's with so many of these young mothers posting on the DIHALS Forum with worry of having ALS? I know the answer, Dr. Google and the Internet but my diagnosis is... it's bringing a child into this pressure cooker world we live in now. intense employment atmosphere, intense technology demands at work AND home, working harder for wages that have stalled out from 10 years ago, the stress of just being married today, the greater stress of being a single Mom, the complexity of the social world they may try to enjoy with any free time, debt and the boob tube. Ooops... the boob screen. Sometimes I am glad I am 65 years old. Well... I do remember a few things of my 20s and 30s I wouldn't mind doing again. :)

Last edited:
I think it is mostly the twenty somethings that seem to fret more. The last thing on my mind when I was twenty something was my health. Too much other trouble to get into! :lol:

The internet is a wonderful thing, without it I would never have met you all and I think I would have a empty space in my life without you all. But the twenty somethings now never disconnect from their phones and computers. Too much information at their fingertips and that much info can be dangerous.

Vicki, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

symptoms appeared in APR/2009. knew nothing about Dr Google. Went to GP Sept and was quickly DXed. Now 77. Even teenagers think they have ALS when its bad diet and lack of exercise.

Wow, 65 years old, that's alot of experience to fall back on.
At 39 I was so medically inexperienced, only going to the dr a few times in my life for very minor things, I did what I always did. Whether I need directions somewhere, need ingedients for a receipe, the latest news, or yes... a strange feeling in my throat. I automatically go to the web.
Nowadays, ease of information is always going to be first choice. My parents still wait for the newspaper to arrive, while ive already read it on the web, meanwhile my 18 year old had any news hes interested in already sent to him instantly via twitter.
It's no wonder today's youth is paranoid, and panic so quickly.
It's our job to educate them I guess!
Casey

The new hi-tech stuff is great. Ten years ago I had to study real hard to pass the test for a Commercial FCC License (Global GPS - Global Marine Distress & Safety Systems - Ship Radar) at 55 years old! Now? I don't want to learn anymore. :) The more "Plug and Play" it is... the more I like it! Grumbled about having to set up my wife's new laptop for her:)
But, old habits are hard to break... we still get 2 newspapers delivered. (The coupons I guess)

Last edited:
Tech is great and I like it, but you got to know how to turn it off and live in the real world. Your wife can get coupons online too. I remember when I went through paramedic training we had to learn all the arrhythmias of the heart and meds and dosages, calculating dosages now it is all in their phone and the defibrillators tell them.

I've been a bit concerned too about all those young mums. I do often have a browse over that forum, rarely comment as it seems to me sometimes the more answers given them the more they just keep posting and some of you are much better/tactical at answering them than the things that spring to my mind! :eek:

As I've posted before...too many of the online Med sites (such as NINDS) in the first few paragraphs state, "There is no definitive test to diagnose ALS." They read that and it gets stuck in their heads... literally stuck in their heads. They don't realize that car/SUV/minivan they drive has a greater chance of killing them while they are texting, talking on their cell phones while driving, changing a CD, having the rear view mirror pointed back down to the child in the back seat than it being good old fashion STRESS that is causing their stiffness, twitches, choking, numb toes, stiff finger, cramps, weak legs and shortness of breath. But... Dr. Google has them convinced it's ALS. :)

I think it is themselves that have them convinced they have als or other type diseases. Very sad really. Even after the doctors tell them it is not, they can't seem to give it up. When I went to the doctor I was relieved when he said I had mito as compared to some of the other things it could have been.

We have talked about this so much, it doesn't any do any good except to let off steam for those of us who answer some of them.

I have a young man that works for me who is a hypochondriac. It makes me so crazy--he is constantly at the doctor and they give him meds all the time. If any one at the office is really sick--you know he will have the same thing the next week. I have tried talking to him, but it is impossible--he has completely convinced himself that he is sickly. I always want to slap some sense into him!

Perhaps Munchausen's? Forgive my spelling....

I have very little patience with whiney people, I have seen too many really sick but brave people. When my youngest, who had the heart defect started climbing into my lap and whimpered, I had to re-enforce that he did not to be sick or hurting to get my attention. My kids just about had to be in critical condition to get any sympathy.

Once years back my husband's family was visiting and their daughter got the flu, so her mother was visiting her in her bed every ½ hour to see if she needed anything. Of course shortly after they left one of my sons came down with it, so I thought I should be more compassionate like she was, and visited frequently, offering water, or soup, etc. After the 2nd or 3rd time my son asked me to stop coming in and checking on him, he didn't like it, and it was disturbing him. Well that was that, I tried, and it wasn't necessary, he's now a paramedic.

If someone is truly sick I will go above and beyond to help, and I think I am really patient in those times, I just don't have the energy to spend on malingerers.

LOLOLOLOLOL

I'll drink the drink the drink to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back