Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
usa
City
city
ok so im feeling pretty good despite some trouble with my right side still. i am going for an emg on the 19th. i read it involves electricity and needles. i dont like the thought of either. so tell me is it as painful as it sounds?

It depends on the doctor performing the EMG. For me the first one hurt. The second EMG was done by an ALS doctor and was much more tolerable. I have a fear/phobia of needles so that didn't help me any at all. Also my pain threshold is at 0%.

I'm sure you will do much better than i did. I am a big baby when it comes to needles.

My first 2 emgs were uncomfortable, done by same dr. Third emg done by my dr now and oh my it was very uncomfortable and got painfully when he got near the apex of my hips, inner thighs. have to have another in oct and this one is being done in a emg clinic across the hall from my dr. Dreading.....

Hi there
From what I hear it is somewhat operator dependent as Txgirl says. My experience was that is really was not that bad. Only one place hurt and that was momentary. Everywhere else was minimally uncomfortable. It was much less uncomfortable than I had expected ( and mine was a full EMG limbs back and bulbar)

I had 6 and actually got used to them. # different operators. I think they are a little uncomfortable, but really not nearly as bad as you would think. They use very very thin needles. Some people have a lower pain tolerance than others , It all depends on the individual.
I would prefer an EMG & NCT to visiting a dentist by faaaar.

What I would do is try to distract myself while they are doing the procedure and don't watch what's going on. I kinda daydream and think happy thoughts while I go to the dentist. You will do just fine. Don't stress yourself out about it or the more tense you'll be. Good luck, Kim

I always enjoy a good EMG! Makes me feel so alive!

thanks yall i will try to relax and try to keep my mind off of it but knowing how sensetive to needles i have become im getting anxious! ijust want it to be over. i guess they are looking for permanent nerve damage? my right is where some trouble is but i think i will be fine. its not the results im worried about its the actual test . i will let yall know as soon as i do know . one more thing will i know the results the same day?

In case you were not told, do not wear any skin lotion the day of your test. Apparently, lotion can make it more painful.

Good luck Ysabel.

thanks i wont be wearing any then.

MY EMG'S were done by my neurologist, I would say it's more uncomfortable than painful, only had slight pain when the needle was in my back, also, if you can, take someone with you for support, it helped me :)

The needles are really small as Allyoop says. It is nothing like an injection or blood draw. It will be fine. Is your doctor doing the EMG? If so it is quite likely they will tell you something at the time. If it is someone else they will probably send you doctor a report so he or she can correlate it with you clinical exam and history
Take care
Nikki

Another dr is doing my test. I'm just wanting it to jury up and be done. Thanks for all the replies. I will just try to relax about it lol!

Just remember to breathe as normally as you can. Believe it or not that makes it hurt less!

I've only had one so far and it was only really uncomfortable in my back. It's not fun but it's not intolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back