Do you go outdoors during cold very cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthawk

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anne Arundel Co
I just wanted to know if you PALS go often outdoors during the worst part of the winter, not necessarily to attend appointments but for leisure.

I have been home 99% during the cold weather here in Maryland. I even asked my family to call the ALS Clinic at JHU to change my appointment from Feb. to May this year because I didn't feel like going out during the cold weather.

Cold weather makes my legs and jaw shake uncontrollably and I can hardly stand.
I think cold makes my symptoms even worst. Anything below 70F.

I'm looking forward to May, June, July, etc., to restart my errands outside the house.

What about you? Do you go out often during winter or stay home until weather gets nice?

The heat and humidity of summer in the SE take their toll on me as well.

Really?

I had thought cold weather was worst on most PALS.

Perhaps because I lived too long in Southern California, where the summers get really hot, although not as humid as in GA or MD.

I have a problem with the cold and really hot humid weather. Cold makes me shiver all over and my hands and feet ache. Humid heat just saps all energy from me makes me feel very lethargic.

This winter I leave the house about once a week to grocery shop. Plus I am afraid of falling on snow and ice.

I don't go out as much either. I am in a wheelchair and get cold really fast in winter, especially my feet. I find it really hard to control the joy stick. I can't get gloves on and it is too awkward with mittens on so my fingers seize up. I end up going in all kinds of directions. When there is lots of snow on the ground, the wheels can slide, dig or spin on the spot. It bugs me when the wheels drag in all the slush in the house. I am looking forward to warmer weather too. It will be here soon!

I know this is directed at pals but, i have gotten so spoiled to san diego weather that anything below 60 has me shivering.

I used to work in the city of Temecula for Abbot Labs. as a chemist in the past when I used to live there (about 60 miles far from San Diego).
It indeed gets very cold during the winter back there although, no snow to shovel during that season.

Last edited:
I hybernate in winter but if the heat is up past 80f i get fatigued.

I used to work in the city of Temecula for Abbot Labs. as a chemist in the past when I used to live there (about 60 miles far from San Diego).
It indeed gets very cold during the winter back there although, no snow to shovel during that season.
I have heard of temecula but never been there. As of right now im living in down town san diego.

Hawk I moved to FL to get away from the cold weather. It caused me a lot of pain and I just decided to pick up and move.

Cold makes MANY conditions worse--ALS is just one of them. In me, it sets of mega-spasms that were just too painful. And of course, my yearly bout of pneumonia. My asthma does not like cold either.

my husband can't take the cold or the heat either. his sweet spot is 72 - 82 degrees..higher or lower and he is in the house!

Barbie.........Hawaii has that temp pretty much year round.

I think Southern Florida also enjoys a nice weather even during the winters.
The only problem there sometimes are the tropical storms during summertime.

NH

Florida--especially south FL, is hot as ____ in the summer. Storms everyday which helps the heat but not the very very high humidity. I would take Hawaii any day! (Im a FL native by the way)

Now winter--fantastic! I love it! but it is hot from April to November.

Yeah FL is hot and humid 90% of the time. But I don't do heat any better than cold. Cold makes me hurt and sick--heat flat out makes me fall over.

If it's hot or cold? I'm inside either bundled or AC...whichever the weather dictates. It was only in the 60's today and I have my space heater on. My hands are much much worse when it's cold inside--I have to fix lots more typos.

I wanna live in HI. Send me a ticket and I'm there :) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back