Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
I realised i have not seen david about for a while,don't know if i keep missing him coming on the forum.
Has anyone seen him about?
A post i did that went to mod land early yesterday has not been done.
Anyone else got posts still missing?
may have to drop him a pm,make sure everything ok.

Could be we have been very good behaving ourselves so he's taken a break;)

Olly,

Was also wondering. It's March break in Ontario. Many people vacation at this time of year, and I hope this is rather the case for David, although I don't think he was around last week either. Lets hope he's walking on a beach somewhere. I myself am leaving tomorrow for a week, but not to a beach!

Although, I do not know David that much (I'm just a newbie here), I suppose he's a PALS, doesn't he?

Moderating a huge forum like this, even for a "healthy folk" has to be a nightmare, let alone a PALS. And even worse, just ONE...PALS.

No wonder why he relies 99% of his time exclusively on software to catch posts and send them to..."Moderation", which irritates some of us.

I used to be an "octopus" at my last job before ALS developed in my body.
A chemist in the R&D Lab. and then, whenever the Network Admin was absent, he delegated me part of his responsibilities (Server backup, troubleshooting of colleagues computers, etc.)
We were just a 50 employees company here in Maryland.

All that created too much stress on my mind and shoulders and I think it sped this disease up until I was laid off and...the reason given "bad quarter sales/profits".

If David is the only soul out there maintaining this forum, he's definitely going to need more help. He'll have to think about promoting people among the "Extremely helpful members" and "Very helpful members" to Moderators to help him out or, he's going to end up exhaust and sicker, which would not be good to this PALS community.

Just my 2 cents here.

Nighthawk, David isn't a PALS. He is the owner of this site. Back in 2006 the originator of this forum Al Petit approached David to help keep alive a forum that Al was involved with through the ALS Society in Ontario that was being shut down. David took on the site i.e. designing and upkeep etc. Al was our super moderator and he had co-moderators. Sadly all of them have died. David is plugging away--a one man show--keeping the site going without any moderators other than himself. David lives in Toronto and he is not comfortable about appointing moderators without interviewing them face to face. That is a bit of the history. Al was a super hero.

Laurel

Laurel,

Thanks for clarifying.

I know about Al, because a very few months before my official ALS diagnosis, I suspected I might have it and started browsing this forum for answers and how to deal with it in case the diagnosis confirmed ALS (which it did).

I started to browse this forum as a guest for almost a year. It was that way I became aware of Al Petit (I remember his firefighter avatar).
I'm so sorry he passed away just a few days before the ALS Walk that was going to be held in early June last year in Canada.
I then got tired of just being a guest and decided to register early this year.

I learned a lot from these people (some are PALS, some are CALS): Notme, Olly, Rose, Ms. Pie, Sadiemae, Momap53, Laurel (yourself), etc. (add now to these people, Ottawa Girl and Vickim).
All of you have something in common, and it's: you all are females.
It looks like women are more helpful and selfless than we men in hard times.
I admire all of you for being the way you are. Hats off to you all. Please, keep it up.

In regards to David, he will eventually have to make a choice.
We all are human beings and are at the MERCY of unfolding and unexpected events, aren't we?

He is going to need help, and the sooner he gets it the better for ALL of us.

Thanks.

NH

Last edited:
I had forgotten to mention user HellenL (I had already mentioned some of them on my last post but would feel bad with myself if I didn't mention her) among these people I had read most of the informative and helpful posts here in regards to this disease.

I had a post approved pretty quickly a few days ago--so I'd imagine he's okay.

I think he's had several offers of help as far as moderating goes--perhaps one day he will feel comfortable with an interview online via video-cam. I'd certainly help in anyway I could--even just approving moderated posts.

I'm just glad he keeps the place going--moderation issues aside. I work hard to avoid words that hit moderation, but sometimes forget, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back