Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi all
I do not have ALS but come from a FALS family
I know to get Medicare you have to be receiving something from ss. Ssdi or ssi. If you are 62 and take early ss and get a diagnosis of Als can you then qualify for Medicare?

Part two. Expiring work credits. If I earn 4 work credits in the year I turn 57 and have work credits for the previous years will those credits carry until age 62 thus ensuring I could apply for ssdi and then Medicare after 5 month wait?

Thanks for any information. I do not plan to be without any insurance at any point but this will help me with some hard choices
Best wishes
Nikki

If you have an ALS diagnosis and have worked 5 of the last 10 years, then you are eligible for Medicare even if you are under 62. So the answer to your first question is "yes". Work credits don't expire toward general SS eligibility. You must have a total of 40.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I think I was unclear in my question about work credits. For example if I have earned enough this year for 4 work credits (and have credits for many years before) and quit tomorrow and never work again when am I no longer eligible for ssdi? Is it 5 years from today or is it December 31 2018?
Thanks again I know this seems obsessive but my sister can not get Medicare because she took tome to be a stay at home mom and was diagnosed after 5 years out of paid work force just before going back to work so can't get ssdi too young for ss and too rich for ssi!

you should probably contact the social security office near you. make an appointment and hopefully they can explain it all better to you. I have read the website and i still don't understand it all!

The rule is 5 total years (4 credits/yr) out of the past 10. It doesn't matter which 5 yrs, but they all have to have been within the previous 10. My wife wasn't eligible for Medicare because, although she had met the >40 credits (10 yrs) requirement for SS eligibility at age 62, she had not worked 5 of the last 10, and so wasn't eligible for Medicare (she was younger than 62.) You can read the rules on the SS website.

Last edited:
Thank you both. Yes Annie's Phil that is exactly the situation that my sister is in. It is so unfair especially for stay at home moms

that happen to me too. not fair that stay at home moms get no benefits. im getting spousal support so cant qualify cus they say its too much but caretakers r expensive. pay to much to irs cus i cant deductt caretaker since she has no ss no. n legal ones charges too much. sucks

Medicare is good for those who diagnosed with ALS but I think the criteria is not so easy to get benefited.No doubt caretakers are more expensive and the people like us cannot afford easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back