Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
MO
City
St. Louis
I was recently diagnosed and I am still driving. I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you can no longer drive but you have a loan on your car? I had a car that was paid off which of course broke down over the summer and was not repairable so I had to get a new car.

I am so new to this that I haven't met yet with my ALS association chapter rep (Wednesday) and my first clinic visit at St. Louis University is 12/28 which I know I will be speaking to a social worker.

Just wondered if anyone had info.
Thanks.

Bernie-

If you are driving now- you may be able to do so for a long time to come.

If your question is what to do about the loan- you could sell the car and pay off the loan and the shortfall and penalty if any. Alternatively, perhaps your lender would agree to have someone assume the payments & ownership. If you have a lease, you may be able to have someone take it over as well.

Please don't make a premature decision- independence is all it's cracked up to be. Keep it as long as you can.

Good luck at 12/28 appointment.

is it worth selling , or go to a dealer and ask for a wheelchair van and see what kind of deal you can make because on time you will need one ... hugs

Easter Seals has a vehicle loan program that is reduced rates to help get a handicap van... i drove for more than 2 years after diagnosis, stopping when my legs got too weak.

the loan has nothing to do with the ability to drive only the ability to pay.

if you don't pay--they will take the car. You may be able to drive for a couple of years you just do not know. And then, you will still need a van to transport possibly. I don't know your situation, but If you are still working and still able to drive, don't worry too much about the future...what is gonna hapen is gonna happen and you cant control it by worry. Have a couple of back up plans in mind and keep on living today.

the loan has nothing to do with the ability to drive only the ability to pay.

I agree. How about selling the car to pay for the loan since you're not able to use it, that is if the car is still of good value though.

thank you! i plan on driving for a long time hopefully! my weakest area is my left leg and I still have a lot of strength and ability to control my right leg - therefore able to drive. one of the hardest things is losing any form of independence for sure! Merry Christmas!

thank you! i plan on driving for a long time hopefully! my weakest area is my left leg and I still have a lot of strength and ability to control my right leg - therefore able to drive. one of the hardest things is losing any form of independence for sure! Merry Christmas!

ATTAGO Bernie!

Merry Christmas to you.:lol:

IF you're having leg issues, you might even consider hand controls if your hands are doing well still...though I'd probably see about looking sooner rather than later for a van just for ease of transport.

Like Barbie said--loan companies won't care if you have ALS--they want PAID.

Unfortunately most businesses just want there money, are you on disability yet? If not get stuff in order. I agree with the othersdrive it while you still can, if worse comes to worse they pick it up if you can't pay. Lots of us have had the money situation where we had to do something legally. So just keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back