Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
Anyone have any gift ideas that would be good to get my father who is 78 and has ALS. I would kind of like to get him something sentimental. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My F-I-L was in a nursing home room his last Christmas. He loved Christmas decorations. We gave him a ceramic Victorian style 1' tree that rotated and had a music box in the turning mechanism that plays a Christmas song. He enjoyed it his last Christmas, bout wore it out and now we have it here with us and remember him every year by playing and enjoying "Dadda's Christmas tree".

I love snow globes - musical or not. As long as they're not tacky!

How about a digital photo frame and album? You could load it with lots of family photos. If your dad has a computer and email, you could send pictures regularly from your home to the photo frame. It would be sort of high tech sentimentality <g>.

I don't have emotional liability badly but I do occasionally have trouble with family photo's. :sad:

Same here. And I don't have als..but you put some pictures on a screen..add a bit of music..and I'm a blubbering idiot. :)

I like the digital photo album idea. Similarly, how about one of those photo albums you can order online and have made up and delivered? I don't know the specific names of companies who sell them, but a friend of mine has ordered several and it sounds like a pretty easy process - you just send your digital photos to the company and they put together the album and mail it.

How a bout a lovely soft throw with all the kids or grandkids names embroidered on it.

I gave a friend who was going through chemo a handkerchief. I wrote scriptures covering the whole thing that I thought were relevant to her situation with fabric pens. It touched her heart..and I so loved touching her heart.

Hi Kim.
The digital photo frame laurel mentioned is awesome.

When my wife's grandfather was in the hospital a few years ago, we loaded a Christmas ordament/digial frame full of family pics.
He told more than a few people it was his favorite thing. (if you can't find one let me know, I have one in the box still)

You can also get a throw made where they can put any digital picture as the throw.
Costco Photo in Canada makes them. I'm sure the US Costco makes them too.

Good Luck, talk soon.
Casey

on a more mundane note, the aromatherapy pads that you microwave and put on cold feet, neck, etc. feels wonderful, and smeels good.

Those are nice Helen..sometimes the mundane are actually the most used and loved. Wedge pillow I got my husband a year ago he wouldn't do without today.

Good idea Helen. And..what about those wheat filled ones you microwave. Do they sell them there?

You can make them out of whatever smells good...lavender is good, some are buckwheat, rice, etc., but they don't smell as good. You could even make your own, have the kids stitch up 3 sides and fill, then sew that last seam up really well! (Don't want them to leak, so make sure it's a strong fabric, but soft.

I used flannel. Worked great. Lasted for years. Used rice so could have smelled better. Lavender would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back