Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
My son will turn 18 while still in high school. What do I need to do to make sure he receives survivor benefits until he graduates?

If any Veterans see this, what do I do to make sure he received VA survivor benefits?

When my Dad passed in 71 all us kids received Social Security Benefits until either 18 or if going to college till 23. Don't know how it's done now.

Now, you get SS benefits until 18 or graduation from high school - which ever is later. No more college benefits.

Fooie! That's a shame!

It ended in 1982 (phased out over 3 years).

Running out of funds aka government spending I think.

I believe it is 18, that's is when my son quit drawing

I am sure it is 18 or high school - whichever comes later. I am just wondering if anyone knows the procedure.

missy I have had 2 kids pass the 18 yo threshold and still be in high school. I get a letter from SS just before their birthday and I have to sign that they are still a student and state their graduation date. then the school had to sign it to confirm it and I sent it back. the checks continued until graduation for both of them. However, the checks were made out to them not me! I had to make the kids give me the money since I was paying all their bills! Oh yes, also had to fill out a form that I had used all their money for their care. after they graduated, the money was redistributed to the other children's checks (they went up).

It is a shame that the SS was changed...my husband actually lost his dad when he was 15, and SS put him through college! he was very upset when he found out the same would not apply to his kids.

Thanks so much, Barbie! That's just what I wanted to know! It is a shame but, like so many other social programs, the abuse of that program was astronomical. There was almost no way to monitor who was really in college full time and who had dropped out or was in only part time. The actions of a few can hurt so many.

Missy, the SS form is 1372 For ChampVA they require a letter. Call them at 1-800 733 8387 For VA it is form 21-674 HUGS Lori. I just dug all this stuff out this week as Ally turns 18 in Aug but is just a junior this year. Send the SS form to both the local and national office. The instructions tell you to send it to national however national says to send it to local. I am sending to both. When I did it for Brian I just sent it to National and they didn't do it. Called them and they said to send to local.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back