Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Things aren't getting any easier and that doesn't help when you're dealing with moving pianos fairly regularly.

I had agreed to rent a small baby grand piano to a lovely lady for her wedding & reception which were to be held at the same local. It takes 2 to move one of these little boogers so a future son-in-law was enlisted to assist with the moving.

The first problem was finding a rental truck and the smallest available was a 20ft with a lift gate. I prefer a ramp and you'll see why.

All was going smoothly. We had the piano on its side on a moving board and the moving board setting on a four wheel dolly and the whole shabang going up on the lift gate. When the lift gate reached the top, the piano toppled over, lid side down. Because the piano was padded with a moving blanket, any damage that had been done to the cabinet was not visible. I have to to tell you here that I did not go up with the piano on the lift; my future sil did. This was his first experience in piano moving.

When we got to the venue where the wedding was to be held, we set up the piano and got a good idea of the damage that had been done. A 2 inch chunk of the lid was badly damaged on the tail end and the piano was completely thrown our of tune. Several of the keys were sticking and I then knew there was no way I was going to be able to put things in order for the event.

I wound up going to a nearby music store where I am well known. After hearing my predicament, the store graciously loaned me a keyboard to set in the area where the music shelf usually goes. This worked out very well for the pianist. By the way, the bride and the pianist were also very gracious to me.

Now the fun part...
After this rental, I had a buyer for this piano (a rare find from 1920 in a red mahogany case made by "The Premier Grand Piano Company - New York") all lined up. Now I have to explain to her it is no longer for sale and needs major work. After all of the repair work is done, the piano will wind up being in far better condition and will no longer be available for the same asking price.

I must also mention that I took a few turns in the city a bit too sharp and wound up scraping the sides of said truck. The scraping is very visible but I did take out the insurance policy from the rental agency so perhaps they'll be kind towards me.

My muscles in my arms, legs and hips have been giving me constant issues but I just cannot slow down or stop; too many bills to pay.

In an effort to get to the root cause of these constant, ongoing muscle issues, I have once again set an appointment with the VA GP (I think they still have a PA sitting in for an MD). The appointment is for mid-week. We'll see how it goes and where, if anywhere, it may lead.

Well, Kim, that was quite the adventure! I hope you can get some answers to the muscle woes...

By the way, the piano from my father in law's basement was NOT a Steinway! I'm so naive. Anyway, it looks like someone used the ivories to rest cigarettes on (burn marks and edges missing)! I haven't gotten to the point to have it cleaned up and tuned. Poor piano.

All I can say Kim is Eek! How scary. We had a piano and only moved it once and then sold it. I'm sorry to hear that the body is still not doing well. I'm glad you are heading back to the doctors. Do you think the truck scraping has anything to do with lessened motor skills? I sure see that when my husband is driving (he has CIDP). Somehow his reflexes and reactions are always a tad delayed. Take care

Kim, while I kept reading your post I kept yelling 'oh no!'...musician myself I can only imagine the horror on your face as the piano toppled off of the lift. Yikes.

Maybe for future rentals, a ramp like you said, or perhaps 'locking it' in place while it is risen on the lift. Example...lift a few inches off ground...then take bungee or moving straps to tie tight around the piano..then move it all the way up...even if there is a jolt at the top when the lift has completed its job it won't budge. Then you can work on pushing it in by releasing one strap at a time while making sure you have the piano either on the lift or in the back of the truck. Whaat a nightmare!

At least you can be happy that it didn't land on anyone! That could be a serious injury..even a baby grand can do damage! Sorry for your 'oopsie!' hopefully a good learning experience ? ;)

Well, here are some of the things I've learned from this episode:

1. I don't know how to drive a 20' truck.

2. Future son-in-law will not protect a falling grand piano with his body (chiken!).

3. Ramps are safer than lifts when it comes to moving pianos (for me).

4. Hire movers from now on!

The poor piano! I didn't know you rented them out, next time have the customer pay for the movers!

I just got rid of a beautiful old upright piano that's been in my family's home since about 1962... it was old when we got it. It is a Boston piano, and had a cast iron soundboard. 4 guys came and picked it up, moved it a few feet, put it down, repeated until they got it out the door onto the truck, which they didn't even have backed in all the way. It had real ivories, and was probably mahogany wood. My kids (who don't play it) were upset that not only did I get rid of it, that I GAVE it away! I told them that no one was going to buy it, it still needs work, and BTW, a little 8-year-old girl is now getting lessons on it! I can just imagine her face when that huge old piano was brought into her house!

what an adventure!

Kim sounds like you learned from your ooopsie, understatment! So glad neither of you were hurt. Yep call movers!

Wow - you were very brave to attempt this, even with help. I have a 1926 DeKalb baby grabd (became Wurlitzer in the 30s) and have moved it twice in 30 yrs. I hire a piano mover who has the dolly, the truck, etc. He's not cheap ($150 in 2011) but sets it up completely before he goes. As you told your story, I was right there with you until the part about the lift! Yikes - you're lucky it wasn't worse. Remember Laurel & Hardy's piano movinf movie?

That story brought back so many memories. I grew up in a musical family. My father was a choral and orchestral conductor and ran a multitude of music programs in our region. In any case, I used to think it completely normal as a kid that on the weekends we'd load the piano on the truck and head to the park where 40-50 of our friends would just show up and start singing. Eight times a summer all through the 1970's. I actually attended music school myself and performed in several significant concerts and events before realising how cut throat the music industry was/is and that there were much easier ways to make more money at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back