Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
Anyone out there taking this drug for inappropriate laughing or crying?

I don't have those symptoms but my neuro said it would also help with other pre-bulbar issues such as swallowing and speech.

Anyone taking it for that reason? The side effects sound scary and the cost is $245.00 per month. Any thoughts?

I would forget it at that price. My husband takes amytriptyline(Elavil) and it is a lot cheaper.

How does it help with swallowing and speech?

I've been taking it for pseudo-bulbar affect (inappropriate laughing or crying), and there is a noticeable difference/improvement. I have not had any side effects from it. However, I've never heard of it being used for other bulbar symptoms. It is covered by my prescription insurance.

I do not know for sure, but I have heard that Medicare prescription plans sometimes do not cover the brand name nuedexta. But you can have a compound pharmacy mixup the same recipe and it can get covered that way. It is a combination of dextromethorphan (active ingredient in most cough medications) and quinidine (according to one of my neurologist, is a compound to slow the metabolism of the dextromethorphan).

Hope this helps.

Brian

I'm taking Neudexta for about a week and so far it hasn't done a thing.

I tried it. Didn't do anything, but caused severe dry mouth.

It helped my husband tremendously. He was in the clinical trial at Emory.

With the Medicare plan my husband has for prescriptions, the drug would still cost about a hundred bucks a month. In calling around to compounding pharmacies, they charge approximately the same out of pocket. You may want to go that route instead.

My husband refuses to pay that much, so he's on an anti-depressant that helps somewhat.

I use it and have been on it for months, I notice when I am not on it. It has helped with my emotional incontinence, a term I never knew before Lou and I got together. I haven't noticed any side effects, or maybe I just haven't associated them to this drug. I am also on Nuvigil to help my energy level which has really helped me out.

Thanks for all the good input, friends.

My doctor said that he went to a conference and they were discussing the discovery of this new benefit.

Also these two combined drugs are sold separately as generics. How do they get away with charging so much?

By the way.....I found out after I had purchased the first Rx that the Neudexta web site will give you a coupon to purchase the drug for a $30.00 co-pay. How generous of them.....they get 2/3 of the payment ($400.00) from the insurance company.

My husband is taking it has helped. I notice less of the crying and laughing. Before it was almost nightly and now every once in a while. I have not noticed any side effects.

Hi Brian. Did you know that this practice is illegal? The compounding pharmacy would be breaking law and face heavy fines and even then you don't get the same thing. Millions of patients have unrestricted access and this number is growing. Take advantage of the online and phone line to get reimbursement support. NUEDEXTA | Patient Support or call the NUEDEXTA reimbursement support team toll-free at 1-855-4NUEDEX (468-3339) Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 7 PM ET.

You can also share this link with your doctor or care taker: www.nuedextasupport.com

Anti-depressants can have strong side effects. Surveys shouw doctors who use Nuedexta like it much better than all other medications. If money is an issue contact NUEDEXTA reimbursement support team toll-free at 1-855-4NUEDEX (468-3339) Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 7 PM ET.

Yes they are generous and try to help all patients have access to Nuedexta. As far as the price goes, the reason it costs what it does is because it took over 10 years of painstaking hard work and much resources to develop this wonderful medication, test it - round after round - and finally get it approved. It's really a very long and very expensive process.

I have been taking Nuedexta for about 6 months & it has helped me tremendously. It controls my crying. I was unable to talk about my ALS symptoms or experiences without breaking down & now I can handle it. I received a discount card from my neuro for it & I only have to pay $30 a month for it. I have had no side effects. Was on anti-depressant prior to that & it made me sleepy & didn't help with the emotional outbreaks. it doesn't help with speech or swallowing or any symptoms except the uncontrollable crying & laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back