Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Wasnt sure where to post this, hope this section is ok...

My PALS got a phone call last night from his friend/POA telling him that their friend had passed away. He was only 56 years old and he died from breast cancer. Yes HE.

The only reason I am sharing this with you is because I have recently realized that alot of folks dont realize that men can and do get and die from breast cancer.

Just a little heads up.

They just did a huge piece on the news last night on breast cancer in men. They linked it with family history.

thankyou liz,early this year my son(22) had to have a breast cancer test...........thankfully it was benign fibrous tissue.
there is always talk about women's cancers but not enough about mens.
i saw a program about testiculour (SP) cancer and told my son to make sure he checks downstairs not just for lumps but difference in size and texture.

I had a scare a couple of years ago with lumps. Biopsy showed benign tissue but sure was a scare. Wife had breast cancer this year. We're quite familiiar with it now.

AL.

Liz,

Thanks for sharing. While my sister was having chemo as an outpatient almost 14 yrs ago now, she met a man there who was undergoing chemo treatments as well. Now this was the Pat Sajak Breast Center (yes him from tv), who had donated money for the center, and she knew of men getting breast cancer, but she had never met one. (Ooh, as I read that I realized it sounded like Pat himself had it, he did not. He donated the money for the hospital to be built in Annapolis, MD.) Sorry for any confusion. He actually lives about a mile away from my blood parents and his neighbor is, Michael Jordan. They live in an exclusive gated community looking over the Severn River. When my blood sister was sick, with breast cancer, she actually met him. She said he was very short and cocky. She really didn't csre for him, but gave a generous gift to the county.

And by the way, the gentleman she had met, passed away quickly! Sad story.

Olly- glad your son was ok!
You too Al! HOw is the Mrs doing?
Kimberly, my PALS friend was diagnosed with it a month before he passed. It had apparently spread throughout his body.
Not a good thing.

Lee's noot doing too bad. She's still tired a lot but I could be part of that problem.

AL.

When I worked at American Cancer Society, they had a really good male volunteer that went with staff members to talk to folks about male breast cancer. I just recently learned that even if you have double masectomies (sp?) you can still get breast cancer. Doesn't run in my family, but then again, neither does ALS... at least there's treatment for them as hard as it is. There's a lot of great survivor stories, I'd like to hear a few for us! :)

No, Al. ALS may be part of the problem. Not you.

So true...and along with the rare line of things...young women can get breast cancer too!

Don't let age fool you...because unfortunately many doctors, nurses...etc...do. I don't know how many times I have gotten dirty looks for getting an MRI once I had turned 20 years old. I was told things from ...you are way too young...all the way to 'you are taking up someone else's spot that actually should get the MRI. You are just be a hypochondriac." Yeah...I made sure to make a friendly 'visit' back to this administrator when I was diagnosed with an aggressive Breast Cancer at just 21 years of age. Surprise!

Just remember...your body doesn't read the latest statistics and averages. It doesn't care how old, what gender, or race you are. Me...case and point....21- breast cancer. 23- ALS diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back