Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I have not visited the forum as frequently as I used to. Checking in, I was stunned at the many "In Memorium" messages. I guess this is how it goes. My condolences to all that are hurting.

- Jerry

It's been pretty rough in the past week. It's just not fair. It is good to see you though Jerry!

Wait until you've been here a few years and start tallying up all the names that have touched your life for far too short a time. That really puts all things MND into perspective for you.

I know. It hurts. I was just reading an old (july is old) pm from Shon. I don't think I can let him go so will keep them for the duration.
Hugs to ya!

i dont know how you seasoned members do it. just today i was talking with my PALS, trying to get his opinion on me leaving this site for awhile... i am not handling the deaths well at all and I feel like Im not doing anything to help much anyway. But then i have all this guilt, because yes, I can choose to stop coming on here, but all you PALS dont have the choice to take a break from ALS. And what happens when i go away and eventually come back? That In memory list will be even longer and I dont think i would forgive myself if someone passed who really couldve used some advise or support. My PALS said I shouldnt give up.

So how do people find a balance? How do I make it so my heart doesnt break every single time another PALS passes away? Not possible.
I knew this is how it would be when i joined, but i guess, I dont know.... I need to realize that I cannot save the world :(

Liz, if you need to leave, that's alright! We will understand. And when you come back, you will be welcomed.

I hope you don't leave Liz but would understand if you did and never came back.
Love you girl.

Thanks Ladies... I just feel like i would be abandoning my friends on here.
Jerry- sorry. Didnt mean to take over your thread my dear.

From truths cliche's are born. Better to have known these people and lost them than to have never known them at all! As bad as this sickness is I am grateful to have gotten to experience the genuine support and love that is available here. I choose to stand near the flames even if it does hurt some. I am blessed with my religious beliefs death is not the end only a change.

I have a hard time with those pm's from the pals who are gone. Slowly, they are filling my quota and I keep having to make choices. Ugh. Liz, CJ and Marta are right--we'd understand totally, and later welcome you back.

There was always this common ground--coming here to give and receive, followed with strong friendships no one else could share--we're at war here--so we can't stay in grief forever.

Michael, yes. You know I believe likewise, that death is "falling asleep" only to waken with the Lord.

I love you all.

I have a hard time with those pm's from the pals who are gone. Slowly, they are filling my quota and I keep having to make choices. Ugh.

Ann,

No need to worry about deleting those PMs from our "graduates." You can save them in text files on your machine. Down at the bottom of the Inbox page, there is an option to "Download Private Messages as TXT", which will create a plain text file containing all of the messages currently in your Inbox and offer you a chance to download the file to your own machine.

If you want to be more selective about what you download -- say, all PMs from only one person in a single text file -- just go through your Inbox and select all the messages by that user (click the little box at the right end of the line that the message is on in the Inbox), then go to bottom of the Inbox page and click the arrow on the box that says "Move to folder...". You'll see an option to download as TEXT", which will create a file containing only the messages you selected and give you the option to download it.

After you've downloaded what you want to keep to your own machine, then delete the messages from your Inbox and reclaim your quota space. You can then use Notepad or another text editor/word processing program on your local machine to read the text file with your downloaded messages.

QED.

Thanks very much, Allen. I appreciate your instructions!

Liz,
Maybe you can hang out with us on the "tea" thread.
I hate to see you leave but understand if you do.
Susan

After my mom passed on the 6th of this month, I really thought it would be hard to come back on here. When I came back on here, everyone was so wonderful to me with their messages of sympathy and concern I knew I was home again. I can no longer help my mom with this disease but I can try to help my friends here. I can understand for some people how it may be hard to come here day after day and see the people who have passed. There is no need to feel bad about that at all, just know we care and are here for you always.

Dana

O Liz you are one deep hearted girl...you feel everything...but that means you are ALIVE....life is tough, there are so many letting goes, even for people who do not have ALS or a loved one with ALS. I like susans idea...just go to the tea party thread (that didnt come out right did it?lol...)
because we would all miss you so much...you have such a heart and your love touches us, but we want you to take good care of yourself too.
I am torn: if you leave, I will miss you terribly, if you stay and fall apart thats no good either. You must decide what it is best for you. Take a vacation but come on the tea thread and tell us what you are up to...and pm us from time to time. BIG ((HUG)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back