Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
Little One can be a touch slow of a morning. But let’s delve into the thesaurus for a moment and refine that description: She can be obstinate, obdurate, refractory, ponderous, intractable and just plain stubborn! Getting her out the door for school on some mornings requires super-human creativity. Something within her adorable character is acutely sensitive to the tiniest hint of urgency; and once triggered her cooperation is then available in inverse proportion to its necessity! The more dire punctuality becomes, the less likely we are to achieve it. But, I guess parents the world over have played School-Morning Stand-Off.

Little One takes this pastime just a parsec or two further than our other children dared to even dream. Back when we lived in a home with a rather grand front staircase, Little One would sometimes commence a special morning dance on the top step: three steps left, hop, three steps right, hop-hop; stamp both feet, rock side to side, and…….jump! Three steps left, hop, three steps right, hop-hop; stamp both feet … you get the idea. The OCD two-step. Our sole parental defence against this attack was complete absorption: watch, smile, don’t blink. The slightest whiff of frustration, or a stolen glance at a wrist watch, could risk a dramatic escalation to the OCD Salsa, or even the Tango! You may think we are soft, indulgent parents: I assure you, with six children and almost 250 parent-years clocked up between us; that is most certainly not the case!

Little One also had imaginary pets that attended preschool. Impressively, the invisible companion that left in the morning was often the very same friend that came home six hours later, and we could read up on the activities of this exact animal in the teacher’s communication book that evening. My favourite was a crocodile who first visited our home around the time of Steve Irwin’s fatal encounter with a stingray. In order to be put in the car the make-believe croc had first to be violently spear-tackled in the hall by our then four year old, wrestled into submission, roped, and dragged unwillingly with one hand, school satchel in the other. Several years on my Favourite Wife still rises at 5.30am, hoping each day to gain the strategic high ground in the daily battle of wills!

Lately I am also ‘a touch slow of a morning’. So slow, in fact, that three weeks ago I finally called it quits on the all-important Tuesday bus ride to our church office, where I have held a gradually diminishing role these past couple of years. This journey has been the regular highlight of most weeks. The productivity and banter of our staff and team have been a rich delight, and a privilege to share. More recently communication (or rather its absence) has eroded much of the pleasure of this routine; but the death-knell of my career was sounded by something far more mundane: Personal Grooming. I can no longer both dress myself and catch a bus on the same morning. For weeks I have been juggling options, tweaking bus connections, even arranging Home Care to come in the late afternoon – just to squeeze the last little bit out of Tuesdays. But all to no avail.

Like a midnight ebbing of the tide, the last days of my thirty year vocation went unnoticed by friend or colleague. No fanfare, no gold watch. I don’t know why, perhaps the required words are too hard to phrase, but more likely no one noticed. It’s a pathetic little tale, don’t you think? And I am dreadfully aware of the indulgent self pity in my melodramatic retelling!

Nothing has been as hard to surrender as this; perhaps because one’s occupation is something of a metaphor of other strengths. As a carpenter when we were first married there was immense satisfaction in packing up tools after long and productive days, driving home, sitting at the dinner table with our young family, sensing the pleasure of sheer exhaustion, the tingle of small wounds and the buzzing of muscles well stretched. Good days! Later on in ministry my fulfilment sometimes rested on the delivery of a good sermon, or in a valuable counselling discussion, or in the myriad other enjoyable details of a busy church. I dearly miss the purpose and accomplishment that attended several decades of life; but I also question my own attachment to industry. Business, achievement and – above all – popularity, are heady opiates that have shielded me from prolonged exposure to aspects of my own soul; and these new days of long and silent inactivity require a fortitude and peacefulness that I wonder if I possess.

But I am fortunate as well, or blessed. No doubt Little One will entertain us (or terrorise us!) with a new rendition of morning-slowness again tomorrow; and then the house will grow quiet for many hours, until the sun sets and they return home once more. I will have my own unhurried company for much of that time; to spend – I hope – in reflection, gratitude, prayer, correspondence, language and thought. A Golden Watch, perhaps?

(first written in my blog, Rejoice!)

The battle changes but it rages until the end, Roderick. That is my own assessment, anyway. Fortitude is needed throughout, but being contentedly alone is the new ground. And no more feedback added to that silence, telling us we're on track...excepting peace. You'll meet the newest challenge, I have no doubt...and do so with grace!

Roderick,

As usual, you have reached deep inside me and pulled thoughts and emotions to the surface. It's very late here on the east coast of the US so I will have to set this aside for the time being. I hope to follow up on this in the next day or two. Thank you,

Dick

I bet your were one whale of a good minister! I would have traveled around the world to hear you speak. As long as you can write you are a better communicator than most with full use of their voices. I dont know if you tire of hearing it but "BRAVO!"

Fortitude is needed throughout, but being contentedly alone is the new ground. And no more feedback added to that silence, telling us we're on track...excepting peace.

Ann,
There is a whole essay in those words. What a grand word Fortitude is; and there is a fellowship amongst those who must embrace it. I very much appreciate your thought that peace is the only feedback we may have. The soul scratches around for more than that, but finally it is enough at day's end.

Bless you!

I dont know if you tire of hearing it but "BRAVO!"

Humility shoud make me say, "Oh yes, Michael, complements are quite unneccessary". But that would be rubbish! Thank you so much for your encouragement, I find it a joy to write something and then to know that it hits the spot with someone else.
Thank you again!

Roderick,

As usual, you have reached deep inside me and pulled thoughts and emotions to the surface. It's very late here on the east coast of the US so I will have to set this aside for the time being. I hope to follow up on this in the next day or two. Thank you,

Dick

Dick, I'd love to share your deep thoughts some time. I always like hearing your heart.

Roderick,

I sit here, at 1:30 AM on the east coast of the US. Ten minutes ago I hung up the phone after playing navigator for my oldest daughter as she finished up a twelve hour driving stint to get to her grandmother's in Lancaster, PA. She's on her way back to university for her Sophomore year. Your writings pull at the heartstrings and make me notice the passing of time in ways nothing else quite manages.

Liz missed these days. She would have cherished them in every way. I expect they would have just been events in my life if she hadn't passed away so young. I'm struck, nearly every day, by how I apparently slept through most of my life. I never learned how to feel, to notice, to treasure EVERY SINGLE SECOND. It's a gift she gave me. Maybe she died too young, she certainly didn't seem ready, but maybe she fulfilled her purpose here. In so many ways she was wise beyond anything I could ever understand. Only her death, and the absence of her very powerful presence, could free me to find the real me hidden deep down inside. The cost was very great, maybe more than I can ever really manage to come to terms with but there is no denying that losing her made me much more than I ever would have become. I'm not a religious man, but I can't deny a suspicion of subtle, spiritual manipulation at work here. There's more than the eye can see. Not that I ever really questioned it, but Liz was a pretty devout atheist and I find all of this to be rather an interesting twist. She would be laughing at the irony (and deep down, I believe that's exactly what she's doing).

Dick

There is surely more, Dick, than the eye can see. Your wife's death, though tragic, seems profound also; and I wonder if much of that doesn't spring from your faithfulness to her in love, even now. A privalege to hear your thoughts Dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back