05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
OT person showed up yesterday.

A 6 ft. 350 lb. amazon I shall call Broomhilda the Bull Moose. She is VERY LOUD and if she said "Yes Ma'am, Yes Ma'am Dear" one more time, I was going to run over her with my "Cruiser". (you might call it a walker)

She is trying to make muscles in my arms that have already atrophied. Ain't gonna happen. Arms sore all night. Anyone have a rifle? :cool:

Your story is much like my own, I'm sorry to say. This disease is so hard for the untrained to figure out... The best thing a PT did for me was cluing me in as to what I needed for the shower (a bench with a back at the time), and also a heads up about my area rugs needing to be taken up. As for exercise, I was not helped. Only regarding top notch ALS Clinics, I read very good reports on the therapists. Actually there was a good, well experienced PT here--and she ended up having ALS!

The ALSA has manuals which include Range of Motion exercises, if I'm not mistaken--and the MDA/ALS book also has them.
Ann

It is very important to work with people that know ALS. I have fallen prey to a well meaning therapist also. I was actually getting weaker by doing what they wanted me to.

I had a chiropractor that just about ripped my neck off while trying to do an adjustment during one of my spastic/stiff episodes. He quickly apologized. Incidentally, the nurse practitioner that saw me this week for my annual gp physical was his brother.

Anyway, that was before anyone figured out I might have something like PLS. Haven't been back to a chiro since but I'd sure like to see how Helga the massage therapist might help (okay, or Charles, the MT...).

My husband has an OT and a PT. The OT is young (27). She is great. She really works on range of motion and does deep tissue massages. The PT worked with my husband on safe ways to stay mobile in the early days. Now that he no longer has any mobility, he works on range of motion. Our neurologist has been amazed at the difference the therapy has made.

My PT has really helped. Especially with showing us proper techniques of getting in and out of chairs. My husband's back and legs are not so worn out now.

The OT Bull Moose gets two more chances next week. It's ME or HER............I'm counting on ME.

Thanks, Abbas - I think she has never had an ALS client and I intend to get the information to train her

I start getting PT on the 26 th, so we'll see, I don't really have high expectations.

My husband gets ROM twice a week - takes about 1.5 hours each time. The purpose of ROM is to loosen up the joints that are not being used each day, not build up muscle. Our caregiver was trained by a physio to do these specific exercises. Bob feels great after. Deep tissue massage is always great too, even if you don't have ALS:) These "professionals" that come out to help patients should really read up a bit on ALS before they come out. That's not so hard is it? Take care.

Okay.....Broomhilda the OT was here twice this week and I gave her a print out on the progressive limitations of ALS.

Workout reps were reduced to 20 and more emphases on range of motion. No aches and pain afterwards this week.

I think I may have the Bull Moose trained. Still loud though.

I have a niece that is an OT. Wonder if she may know Broomhilda?

Physical Therapist meant well for me but just couldn't accept the fact that I wasn't at the same 'physical ability' as his own daughter who is the same age as me...I think he had too close a connection with that. Severe pain the days after to say the least from having to do way too many muscle reps. Anyway, luckily my eldest cousin is a PT who has given me range of motion exercises that are wonderful. Thank you cous! :)

I met my PT as well. She is very good as well focusing mainly on range of motion exercises. I was pleasantly surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back