testing

ohG0OcY3Ey_wpm6dowO_rDNev6sgXFyk1SA080gugPo

testing 2 (from album)

4695-albums543-picture3786.gif

What are you testing?

AL

What are you testing?

AL

How to have a picture included in a post without going through the attachment process. A member asked me privately how to do it and I had to admit that I didn't know because I'd never tried it here. So, I'm trying it.

For example, the first post attempted to link to an image of mine hosted on my Picasaweb account. The image didn't show up on preview post and, obviously not in the post when approved, even though I can see the IMG tag in the HTML source for the thread page. Obviously, that's my error setting up access permissions on my Picasaweb album.

The second post, which obviously does show the image intended, is a link to an image in a picture album I created in my user profile here. It works exactly as the instructions given in the FAQ said it would.

Obviously, pictures hosted offsite are less of a bandwidth drain on this site than either attached images or images in profile albums. Any suggestions on external image hosts that do work with this site would be appreciated. Any tips and/or warnings that we need to be aware of (beyond the obvious legal and board/good taste standards) would also be appreciated?

Here's another attempt to link to the image at Picasaweb.

i-am-chair-male-square-orig.png

which does appear to work on post preview for me but appears to be resized from its original size (not a problem for me).

hi al,i asked mr t how others made there pictures a bit bigger.............mine come up as little thumb nails but sometimes you want something bigger.
did not know how to do it so mr t was figuring it out for me.
.........................dont worry lol,not doing anything dodgey.

thanks mr t,so how did you do it again?
you click on insert image but it comes up with you needing to put in url,whats that and how do you find it?

thanks mr t,so how did you do it again?
you click on insert image but it comes up with you needing to put in url,whats that and how do you find it?

OK, Olly, first you have to upload the picture off of your computer to another computer that will store it. This is called an image host. There are many of them around -- Photobucket and ImageShack being the most popular -- but many of the free webmail services also have photo-sharing sites.

G--glemail/Gmail --> Picasa

Hotmail/MSN Mail --> Skydrive

Yahoo Mail --> Flickr

Once you've settled on an image hosting service, then follow the service's directions for uploading your pictures and getting the URL for your picture. Each hosting service does things differently, so it is impossible to go into much more detail than that without knowing which hosting service you will be using.

Or, you could put the pictures in an album here -- with the image and file size restrictions -- and use the URL from the album. When you view a picture full-size in your album, at the bottom of the page below the picture, there is a Picture URL and a BBCode for that picture. The Picture URL can be used with the Insert Image button in the Post Editor, or you can just cut-and-paste the BBCode directly into the text of your post.

Hope this helps.

For anyone who is interested, I have posted the set of four graphics in this series to an album here on the site:

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/members/4695-+man+++wheelchair.-albums543.html

The images in the album here are 600 px by 600 px. I have larger versions (800 px by 800 px) posted on my Picasa account here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101950...authkey=Gv1sRgCN-yv4bT57i91wE&feat=directlink

If anyone needs or wants larger versions of the images, please contact me by PM.

These images are made available to all under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

I have tried countless amount of times to try and get a url linked image from my host site to these boards. I have been doing it for years on other sites but this one is locked down it seems and will only allow images urls from an album set up on this site. That is the only way I can get a bigger picture in the message itself. :(

I don't know if this is relevant, but you can download your pic and save it to your desktop in a program where you can edit it if you like. (crop, compress, etc...)

Then, when posting, "GO ADVANCED."

Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the message box.

A window will pop up.

You can then upload your picture from your desktop by clicking BROWSE. (You should be able to find your desktop from there.)

I don't know if this is relevant, but you can download your pic and save it to your desktop in a program where you can edit it if you like. (crop, compress, etc...)

Then, when posting, "GO ADVANCED."

Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the message box.

A window will pop up.

You can then upload your picture from your desktop by clicking BROWSE. (You should be able to find your desktop from there.)

Yes, this will allow you to upload your file -- providing that it meets certain file size requirements (which a lot of modern day digital photos exceed). If the picture dimensions are too much bigger than the size of an avatar, then a thumbnail of the image is created and displayed in the post. The reader can click on the thumbnail and view the full-size picture.

Unfortunately, the thumbnailing was what olly was trying to avoid, so we're looking at the Insert Image function of the Go Advanced editor and trying to link both album pictures and offsite images using that.

I have tried countless amount of times to try and get a url linked image from my host site to these boards. I have been doing it for years on other sites but this one is locked down it seems and will only allow images urls from an album set up on this site. That is the only way I can get a bigger picture in the message itself. :(

AKmom, the image in post#4 in this thread is being hosted on and served by one of Picasaweb's servers, but it took a bit of finagling to come up with the correct "hotlinkable" URL to get it to work. What image hosts have you used to try to put pictures in posts on this site? If we can't figure out the problem, we'll at least know which hosts to avoid when we want to put pictures here. Thanks.

Of course, all the experimenting could be avoided if one of our admins or mods could give us a pointer or two to something that explains what to do, how to do it, and what the restrictions are.

Quick enuff?

AL

Ok, I use my photo site which I pay for to have. Its called smugmug and is a very good site without ads. Here is the small thumbnail version

1050496475_2FUBg-Th-1.jpg

And here is the 'small' version which I believe should be withing the 600 px requirement. Both images are low res because that is all they display on my site, although they have the larger versions for prints.

1050496475_2FUBg-S-1.jpg

I do have photobucket but I only use them for storage of images I make for other websites that I have designed. Now lets see if these show...mods will get them first.

The linking to an external web image is what I used to do to post birthday cakes pictures. Worked great until the powers that be decided that it was no longer kosher and that all my cakes should be reduced to small attachments so I quit baking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back