08/2011
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Orlando
Hi

Does anyone know if it is normal to wake up with a lot of chest congestion with a cpap?
Mine has a warm air humidifier and oxygen at 2liters.

AM headaches are a bit better, but a little concerned with the chest gunk.

O2 says are still low when I wake up, but not terribly low. High 80's
Thanks

Hey patty, put this question on the general discussion forum, heaps of people that could help you, never come to this off topic section.
Aly

I didn't want to post on the ALS side as I'm not diagnosed--and it didn't fit the "Do I have ALS" part, either, so figured I'd ask here. I can't find any info on the apnea boards and I was mostly just curious--not really too concerned--or not enough to call the doc.

Sorry. Took me so long to get back to this. Who gives a dam whether you are diagnosed or not, I know no one here will. These folks are really good with that stuff. You could pm trfogey if you dontvwant to put it out there. He knows everything :)

Answering the question .....YES. It is common for new CPAP users to suffer from "rainout", especially with a humidifier. You may need to adjust humidification, lagging of the tube, etc. Make certain that the face mask is higher than the humidifier. I have sleep apnea and have been on CPAP for three months.
best wishes

notme,

It's not unusual for the CPAP/humidifier combo to break up old crud that's been lying stagnant in your lungs. If it doesn't interact badly with your other meds, you might consider taking an expectorant to thin it out and make it easier to cough up. Something like plain Robitussin or guaifenesin tablets (Mucinex, but get the store brand if it's available).

Hi I hope I can help. I used to have a cpap and I had trouble breathing with it. I had a similar feeling. I went with the bipap after a month. You might have better luck. After I started the BIPAP I slept very well. Personally I don't see how the CPAP helps.

Thanks to you all. That was my Neuro's concern--that Bipap might have been what should have been ordered as she suspects my problems are both apnea and weakened muscles in my diaphragm.

With my asthma--I get bronchitis so easily and it always lands me in the hospital for weeks to clear it up--every darn time I get it.

I don't have any trouble getting air in per se--it's getting it back out that seems to be my problem. PFT showed that. My levels were well below predicted ranges.

I see the pulmonologist again in two months.

I think you might have hit it on the head, trfogey--the gunk has always been there and the moisture from the humidifier is loosening it up. I'll try the mucinex and using my nebulizer--that might get it out better, too.

I think since the sats are still dropping with it, though--that perhaps they are going to have to change it to bipap.

Sounds like you're on the right path, bi-pap is better. I don't have a bi-pap (I go in July for one) I've been on the cpap for about a 1 1/2. I quit using it about a month ago I have problems exhaling when I have it on. So it's kinda like the less of 2 evils on either wearing it and labor excessively or stop breathing during the night. I was scheduled to go this past friday, but after several long trips last week, I was too tired to go.

I keep trying to use it, but think I have to stop. I'm pretty sure I either have pneumonia or am headed that way. When I can hear the rattling in my lungs without a stethoscope, something has to give.

Headaches started back up last week, so I was using the dumb thing faithfully but I think it's making my breathing worse. A month ago, I could walk and talk. Now, I literally can't, which is causing my DD to get annoyed. She will keep saying are you ok, and I can't freaking answer her.

Done whining now. Thanks, guys.

Patty, I do hope you go to the Doctor. You of all people know the importance of getting pneumonia treated, especially with your bad breathing issues. Now get your butt to a doctor, and I mean that in the nicest possible way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back