Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
This is the occasion of my 1000th post on the board -- well, the 1000th post that made it through m o d e r a t i o n and wasn't subsequently deleted for violating one or another of the board rules. At any rate, the passage of such a milestone should be marked with something thoughtful or incisive -- perhaps a reflection on the passage of time in our community and how we all come together through tragedy and nurse each other through to triumph.

Or, in keeping with my usual focus here on the forum, I could have written a sticky-worthy post called "Why the Correct Answer to the Question 'Do I Have ALS?' Really Is 'No, You Don't.'" -- the ultimate guide to twitches, cracking joints, perceived weakness, and divots, dimples, and dents in the muscles. Even though we know it would do little good for the vast majority of the folks who visit here, it would make for a convenient stock reply in the DIHA forum, "Hey, read the third sticky post at the top of the forum. The title gives you the short answer and the post will give you the details."

I thought about doing those posts. I started writing those posts. And then I thought of something even more important.

So, let it go forth from this time and place (thanks, Ted Sorensen) that this is now the ALSForums Junk Reading Recommendations Thread (AJRRT). C'mon, give us the 411 -- the skinny, the inside dope -- on what you read just for the pure enjoyment of a moment of escapism. The junkier the better and whatever puts the bubbles in your "Calgon, take me away!" moment -- that's what we're after here.

Leading off, I present to you the pleasures of "The Dresden Files" series by Jim Butcher. This is a series of (currently) twelve books about one Harry Dresden, the only wizard listed in the Chicago Yellow Pages. Imagine a combination of Harry Potter and The Rockford Files, with dashes of Clint Eastwood and The Matrix tossed in for spice.

OK, 'fess up. Guilty pleasures are better shared. Do it for the fogey, so my 1000th post was not in vain. My headmouse may not have another thousand posts in it. :cry:

Congratulations, Allen, on having a thousand that made it through! This is a great way to celebrate.

I have a favorite author whose books are few...Nancy E. Turner, and the series of three books about settling in Arizona back in its wild days is wonderful. Sarah Agnes Prine, protagonist, was self-taught, so book one is called, These Is My Words. " A nice girl should never go anywhere without a loaded gun and a big knife." Reading all three books is mandatory if you like the first. Happy endings don't always last, otherwise.

tr,

Congratulations on a magnificent 1000th post.

I confess - I still read "The Hardy Boys" series...

I'd like to see that headmouse of yours make it at least another thousand or so!

Good 1000th post congratulations! I am so boring John Grisham is my forget my troubles books. Have to take a break between books, to much lawyer stuff. Lol

Just had a funny thought since you spend most your time responding to do I have threads how long did it take to get to 1000 a month? Lol

CONGRATULATIONS ALLEN! You are officially a very helpful member. A hero of the desperate and anxious (even if they are too self-absorbed to appreciate it). You have raised tough love to a fine art.

And we'll have none of that talk about not hitting another 1000 posts.

Anything by Jean Shepherd is brilliant. A great American humorist. Clever, goofy and nostalgic humour. The movie "A Christmas Story" is based on his work and was narrated by him. "In God we trust (all others pay cash)" and "Wanda Hickey" are good ones.

Also anything by P.G. Wodehouse. Hysterical stuff. "Code of the Woosters" Timeless zaniness.

Donald Jack "Three Cheers For Me" - one of the most exciting books I've ever read as well as one of the funniest. About a WW I flying ace. First in a series of 8 called the Bandy Papers.

Here is to your next 1000 posts!

Last edited:
Dear Trfogey,

Excude thje spllimg rrors! But comgrats on thje 1000 posts & I raise mu glass (wish I cuold) 2 U & a 1000 more 4 U! & I am so sorru I cam't add 2 thj 1dreful literatuire mentiomed aboce, bnut most of muy X has eem spemt W/ Elementray, Middle, Hihg & Collefe books. I am truimg 2 make prodiuctive citizems out of muy childern. 1 dauy I will pick up a bookl 4 muyslf.

My 12 year old son is book crazy and I mean crazy! He reads every spare minute, every car ride, no matter how short. He treasures every book and looks after them very carefully, anyway to the point.
He reads a childrens series of books called "Mortal Engines" by Philip Reeve. I was forced to read the first in the series recently and wow. What an amazing story, oh Sam has just said they are called " the hungry city chronicles" in USA. He's just a know it all. Anyway, they may be childrens books, but very thought provoking. Hay a try at reading one. I am certainly going to read number 2 !

And congratulations on1000 posts, and darn good ones at that. Although I would have enjoyed your sticky :)

Cheers and raised glasses to trfogey
Aly

My bubble bath reading is mysteries & thrillers, anything from Agatha Christie to the latest best seller. One exception to that is an Irish author who sets her thrillers in the city I live in. Can't read those-too real for escapism. Lately my concentration is poor so I am listening to dramatised audiobooks by Francis Durbridge, set in the 1930s. As I'm usually asleep after 10m, this is not going to be an expensive passtime.

Here's to 1000 more (at least!) posts.

Hooray for you and your 1000 posts! I'd bet you'll have at least 4,000 more cuz there sure are alot of idiots out there....
Seriously though, your a treasure around here and dont ever forget that. For some reason, the Gooneys (sp) just popped into my head- not sure why.
Love ya, trfogey

Congrates on your 1000! I have several author series books I love but the one that comes to mind that is a total indulgence of thick plots with twists and turns of unspeakable measure is written by Liz Curtis Higgs. The series starts off in "Thorn in My Heart", which sets the pace of a technically correct historically Scottish countryside in the late 1700's. It tells a scandulous tale of two scottish sisters and a rich handsome cousin who is looking for a wife. Each book really brought you through all the emotions of shock, longing, happiness, betrayal, love, hate, suspense and utter enjoyment of such fine writing! After finishing each book I would search for the next in the series to come out. Really it would make an awesome movie too, but alas, it has strong Christian undertones that hollywood would never consider it movie worthy. But yet for the historical standpoint, back then Scottland was very Christian in their religion.

Joyce, I've read that series. Very well done...

Well, I like Dean Koontz, but I haven't red a "real" book in about 3 years. His books can be kinda morbid.

I've been reading about raising boys, lately. Unfortunately, these tell me nothing I don't already know! LOL

CONGRATULATIONS ALLEN.
i love richards comment "you have raised tough love to a fine art",sooo true;)
honestly,i think you should moderate that forum.
we have had the odd spat but you know i luv you really...........give us a wet sloppy kiss xxxxx:grin:

for some unknown reason on a night before bed theres nothing better at getting me off to sleep than a few chapters of an horror book:eek:
i like koontz,stephen king and all the top greats but can not remember there names..........can not do with mills and boon type books......yuckkk.
at the moment i am into tess gerritsen........she is actually a doctor.
its sort of csi/murder mystery/horror suspense.
throughout her books theres the same female detective and female coroner.
i have found you need to read them in order to follow on with there lives.
she is really really good and gets much praise from the "king".

Allen, what a great idea for a thread! Reading seems to be how I spend a good bit of my day since the beast moved into my body. :)

Currently reading "Water for Elephants" - just finished "The Lincoln Lawyer". Might say, I enjoy diversity! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back