07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
"What is Real?", asked the Rabbit one day

"Real isn't how you were made", said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the rabbit.

"Sometimes", said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real, you don't mind being hurt."

Does it happen all at once, like being wound up", he asked, "Or bit-by-bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once", said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been rubbed off, and your eyes drop out, and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

----The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams

...........lovely

How true...thanks for sharing. :)

Oh Ann, thanks so much for reminding me of this lovely book. I feel I am being made real as well as my pals. I shall have to go and find my copy and read it again in this new light. Maybe even read it to mum. Mind you I have some speed issues with becoming real!

How sweet!

But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

My dad was just pointing this out to me in a very different way, regarding the lack of compassion in today's society.

Ann, here is one for you from the same:

"but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

Oh, Ceej, what a great quote. I really like that. "It lasts for always."

Avril, in a sense I think it's a speed course for all of us who deal with this disease. You, of course, being young and lovely, don't need all your velvet worn off, but I'm working on it... being one who loves you very dearly. We're all in this together.

Ha ha Ann, long time since anyone thought me young & lovely, far too many grey hairs & worries. Thanks though! And yes, working on it. So glad we're in it together. Makes all the difference.

Such a wonderful reminder of how strong one must be to be loved and how precious being loved is...
Thank you Ann...

Ann, Thank you...this really hit home.

Thanks Ann...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful passage, Ann.

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been rubbed off, and your eyes drop out, and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

This is a great description of ALS....lol ....getting real! Thanks for sharing this Ann, it brought back alot of childhood memories. I had so many stuffed animals and most of them fit this description....but one bear in particular comes to mind: Skipper. Once when we were traveling accross country we stopped in a motel just this side of the Mohave dessert. My mom made a bed for Skipper by pulling out a draw and wrapping him in a towel all cozy. But when my parents got up way before dawn, they carried us to the car still sleeping, and drove thru the desert before it got too hot. When I woke up, no Skipper! I totally lost it when my dad said we could not go back and get him. But my mom had me write a letter to send to the motel. asking them to give Skipper to the next nice little girl who came along. This didnt exactly thrill me, but at least I felt that Skipper bear would have a home.

This reminded me also of something a friend told me recently. She does hospice work. In her spare time she makes teddy bears out of the clothing of loved ones who have died, as a way to have something familiar to remind them of those who have died. Isnt that a neat idea?

Ann, thanks for the post -- I sent it to my son. It brings back some good memories of when he and I would sit on the couch and I would read to him before bed. Hope it hits him with the same memory.

How is the neck brace?

Hugs and smiles filled with love.

thank you Ann, had forgotten about the Velveteen Rabbit. As others have already commented, I want to go back and read it from a new perspective.

Thank you Ann. I've been feeling a bit shabby and worn lately (and as everyone knows, my hair is pretty much all worn away). I do think though, that I am now Real. It's a bit of an eye opener to realize that, actually.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back