The Case of the Glowing Possum. The Follies forge deep into the wilderness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose

Extremely helpful member
Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Annie O. Klee paused kneading the dough long enough to shove a stray strand of hair from her face. She turned the dough a quarter turn, kneaded again, and, stopped again. This time it was for a V8 break. But, it didn't give her the burst of energy the advertising claims promised...

What I need, she thought, is an adventure. I need a change of scenery, something completely different from my little bakery/fiber arts shop. True, I have the ocean just a block away, and all the comforts of civilization, but I've never been west of the Mississippi. Its time!

With that, she called to her apprentice, Thelma (the good twin), and asked her to take over the remainder of the day's work load.

Annie went over to the well worn old mahogany desk, and reached back into a secret cubbyhole; drawing out a thick manila envelope. She sorted through the bundles of bills from inside the envelope, and carried a stack out to Thelma, who was now flour covered, and rosy cheeked, intent on making a batch of bread that would make her mentor proud.

Annie set a tall stack of bills on the counter next to the heavy oak table, and told her that something had come up, she was going to be away from the shop for an extended time, and the money she'd set there should cover Thelma's wages, and any expenditures that would be needed for the shop.

Thelma looked up with surprise, raising a questioning eyebrow. Annie shook her head, Not now. I'll be in touch. You've been a good student, and I'm leaving the shop in capable hands.

Annie went to the back room, which also was her bedroom, gathered up some toiletries, picked up her vintage Winchester 70 (one needed something for protection!) and a box of ammo. She slung the strap of her field glasses over one shoulder, and her most important piece of equipment, her Panasonic Lumix camera, over the other ( checking the bag to insure she had back up memory chips and battery charger).

That was it! She unwound her chignon, braided her hair into a single plait, and shoved her Tilley hat down firmly onto her head.

She climbed into her jeep, unfolded a map retrieved from the glove box, and headed north and west....

[narrator's voice over]

I wonder who she will meet along the way.....

Last edited:
Annie got to the interstate that would take her north and west. All was going well. The sun was shining, the trees were now in full, fall colors and the air was crisp and clear! Suddenly, there was a loud pop followed by an immediate wobble of the steering wheel. A flat! Annie's right rear tire had blown out.

She deftly slowed the car to a stop, steering it onto the broad shoulder of the mountain roadway. Annie was half-woman and all man when it came to changing a tire on the jeep.

She was slender, curvy and strong! Wonder Woman had nothing on Annie O. Klee, especially when it came to changing a tire or shooting a Winchester!

With tire iron and jack in hand, she set about changing the tire.

That's when she heard the noise rustling in the bushes 20 yards away!

Last edited:
Annie O. Klee had recently watched "Before and After" and knew what kind of accidental damage a jack and tire iron could cause. She chose the Winchester and loaded it while walking quietly toward the woods. Unlikely that a human would make this kind of noise. She saw eyes. Then a nose. Then her nose smelled the disgusting scent of pole cat...on a beautiful long faced dog.

Good thing I have a V-8, she thought. I think this calls for several 6 packs. Talking quietly to the dog (whose twin can be found on the profile page of Brooksea, by the way), she returned the gun, rolled up her sleeves and wished she had her apron. Under the brim of her Tilley hat, she scanned the land on the other side of the road. A pond! Well, this was sure to work. Quickly changing the tire, replacing jack and iron in the back, thankful that kneading dough had made those lug nuts a piece of cake, she prepared for skunk removal. This dog was going to be her travel companion.

After rubbing V-8 repeatedly onto and into the fur and skin of her new dog, they both walked into the pond to rinse, although the dog was being hauled, more or less. Toweling both the dog and then herself, she pulled and pushed the girl into the jeep.

Settled in, Annie looked at the dog and realized there had recently been pups born to this one. Hmmm, she thought. Better go and check. Maybe the howling isn't just from dislike of V-8. Back at the site she saw a nest-like spot. In it was a baby possom. O'Possom. One O'Possom. She scooped up the baby and quickly determined the skunk hadn't reached it, so back to the jeep they went. "Vee", she told the dog, I brought "Eight". Then Annie applied Chanel no. 19 to her pulse spots to cover any remains of the skunk.

[Diane, how ever do you come up with your ideas? I didn't notice the "Possom" in the title until the dog was washed, btw, but want to keep her. I feel a circus starting...Hmmm. And, Tilley hats are Australian.]

As Annie reached for the gearshift her attention was distracted by her new companions. "Hmmm" she thought "I wonder what the possumbilities are now that I have this crew? Will they need shots?"

She floored the jeep, eager to be on her adventure. The wind whipped the Canadian Tilley hat (invented by Alex Tilley of Toronto) off of her head and it was deftly caught in the very toothy mouth of her new canine companion.

Dark clouds were on the horizon, a storm was coming. As the jeep rounded a corner in the highway Annie noticed a strange figure standing in the middle of the road. Who was he and why was standing on the road?

As Annie's Jeep rolled to a stop just feet from the lone figure standing in the middle of the road, she regonized him and Theadore, Thelma's twin (the bad one). She got out of the Jeep and walked around to meet Teddy. "What in tarnation are you do'in out here, Teddy?" Annie asked.

"Thelma told me you was leavin and that you a taken a fist full of doe with yeh. I'm here to relieve you of it. Hand over the money, Annie!"

Annie was not sure what to do. She had left her rifle in the jeep. As she thought about her options, she turned and look back at the Jeep and noticed an odd glow coming from the back seat. "What in the world could that be" Annie thought. At that same moment.........

Teddy whacked her with a stick, right on her noggin. Her lights were out and she dropped, her last thought..."why did I turn my head". Teddy went to the jeep to find the dough, but hesitated at the door seeing the possum nursing on the dog. Dad Blast It, there was a dog in her car. Maybe it was too busy to mess with him. Opening the door, nervously saying "Good poochie, great poochie", he reached behind the seat of the vintage WW2 jeep to where her carpetbag was shoved. As he opened the top, the dog suddenly jumped out of the car, with the Canadian Tilley hat in teeth, thinking Annie needed something on her head, or under her head. Of course, Vee couldn't get the hat under, so she dropped it on top of Annie's head. Then noticed legs and a butt sticking out of the jeep. Snack time.

Teddy howled in pain as Vee ran to Annie, who was slowly sitting up. "Get away from me, and I do NOT have cash. Thelma was just getting rid of you. Shewy."

Teddy saw teeth appear on the dog again. Well, actually it was the first time. He hadn't seen the other coming. He turned off the road, and disappeared into brush.

Annie thought about the glow. Returning to the jeep, she no longer saw a thing. Hmmm. Strange. Vee jumped in as she raised the cover on the jeep. Higher altitudes combined with dusk made for a chill. She turned the ignition, pushed in the clutch and started back on her way toward the wilderness. Other than a bit of a headache, the only problem was food. Without slowing down, she reached behind her to get energy bars out of the bag and felt something slick. She looked down and Vee was beside her but Eight was missing. Turning her head quickly, there was that possom, full of glow, sitting on her carpetbag and smiling. Startled, Annie asked, "Eight? What in tarnation happened to you?"

Eight answered, "You felt my lubricity, and see my inner light. I'm an alien possom on a mission." Her nose was pointed upward as if she took pride in herself. "I, in fact, am a Space Cadet here on a job, lady. Look where you're driving."

[Aside ~ just an observation] See, I thought this could go two (or more ways) a Gulliver's Travels type of wilderness tale, or the sci fi angle. Just a hint toward what could develop into the story line, the "case" part of the episode title, could be a court case, brought against ? because of ? But really, if we've got aliens, we probably don't need litigation. 8) I love the dog joining you Ann, every explorer needs a dog! Where are all of our nature boy forum members? Jim, so glad you joined us.

I was looking for an appropriate Avator to use, when I realized I don't have a part yet! I guess we're supposed to recognize Barry's.

Last edited:
Annie, a college graduate (cum laude), was having difficulty processing what she had just heard; a possum saying the word, "lubricity". Had she ever heard that word used in a sentence before, she thought?

Ahhh, yes. She remembered that dear old Pops used it concerning the liquid cleanser in the shower. [Dear Old Pops will be a ghostwriter if we're to get into outer space. He also loves GI Jeeps... and all things wilderness. And as Annie loves hearing him talk (which happens on rather a rare occasion) she tries hard to remember... "There are various levels of lubricity, Annie...." Dear Old Pops' other name is Phil, aka Honey Hunk.]

Kim! What a long nose you have! What big teeth! Great Avatar!

Last edited:
Rolling down the road, Annie thought about what had happened already on her short road trip.

She had a run in with Teddy who wanted her money and had a dog and an Opossum for company. Still don’t know what to make of the opossum she said to herself.
Suddenly being distracted by her thoughts and rounding a bend she almost ran over a strange looking person.

Screeching to a holt, she looked closer at the figure.

She guessed that it was a he by the beard it had. He had a strange hat on his head and a rolled up blanket slung over his shoulder held in place by some strange looking rope. Dangling from the rope was a tin can.

Walking back to him to see if he was ok, he spoke.

Giday mate .

Taken back from his accent and talking, Annie replied, just where are you from and what are you wearing.

I am an Aussie and the hat is an Akubra, the rope is a piece of bailed hay string, with the blanket it makes my swag. The tin can is a billy. I am a Swagman from “downunder” on a working holiday.

Could i have a lift to the next town?

Oh by the way my name is Ned.

Certainly Ned, jump in hope you don’t mind a couple of animals. I am Annie, heading back to the jeep.

Annie couldn't help but wonder if Eight would introduce himself when Ned got into the Jeep, but to her relief, he said nothing. Vee, on the other hand, took a instant liking to Ned who had to struggle hard to keep from getting licked in the face. It was amost like they knew each other, thought Annie, hmmmmmmm.

Off down the road they went, Annie thinking that at this rate she might never get into the wilderness.

Change of avitar inspired by Peter's Akubra comment

Last edited:
Annie had an odd thought. Several, if truth be known. First, this trip was beginning to remind her of Homer's "Odessey" in some bizarre way. She really hoped there wouldn't be too many more strange people and creatures in order to have her wilderness trip. Then again, it was certainly a change from bread baking and rug hooking. She also hoped Eight would remain silent for now, but wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery when they were alone again.

"So, Ned. As you can tell, my dog sure likes you!" She was thinking how dogs usually knew whom to trust. Vee had nailed Teddy a while back. Nasty man. This Ned seemed like a nice fellow. "Ned, where exactly is the next town? I'm not from this area." No siree, I'm not in Kansas anymore, either...

Last edited:
Unbeknown to Annie (and Ned), Eight had been busy communicating bad things to Vee almost as soon as he had gotten in the jeep. Eight started off by letting Vee know that where he came from, dog was a favored and common dish. Eight had also busied himself with licking his chops and winking at the dog as if to say, "You sure are going to look good on the grill!"

It was no wonder that Vee had taken to the newest passenger, who also just happened to be the biggest and strongest and most likely to come to the aid of a desperate dog!

Just as eight liked his chops for a second time he noticed something cold and wet on his nose. It was a big snowflake and it was soon followed by many more.

"Crikey!" exclaimed Ned "Is it snowing?, I've never seen snow before!"

"It sure is" replied Annie "I'm glad that I put snow tires on before I left home because we don't want to get stuck out here but we'd better stop and put the top up before my dough gets soaked"

Ned hearing the word "dough" assumed that Annie was talking about money but she was really referring to the sourdough starter that she took everywhere with her.

Annie pulled over to the side of the road and unloaded the back of the jeep to get at the canvas top. Once the top was on, they were all quite cozy and they headed out again into the snowy night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back