Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
I know its early, but while i was at Walmart today, I saw some of the employees putting up a Christmas tree, and it immediately made me think of the worst gift i had ever gotten for Christmas.
My boyfriend at the time, decided that he just couldnt think of a darn thing to get for me, so what did he get me?
A bathroom scale.
Yep. I said it. A bathroom scale.
Why on earth...., UGH. What possesed him to do this?
I dont know. To this day, though we arent together anymore, I still dont know why he got me a scale. I wasnt even heavy then. HE SURE WAS! But i wasnt.
Anyway, so im just curious to hear what are some of the worst gifts you all have received?

A vacuum cleaner...lol

A stainless spoon set from my husband on our first Christmas--very expensive and he was waiting with a look of happiness and anticipation as I opened it. I couldn't fake any joy or delight, and now it is 42 years later and I still tell people about that gift <g>. He laughs now but honestly couldn't understand why I wasn't thrilled.
Laurel

OK- try place-mats. Four new, the other four used, washed and faded! Hmmm...That's when I was was dating my husband. The gift was from my future SIL! LOL She does that "half" thing a lot!

My ex inlaws bought me and my ex a used toaster! Talk about burnt toast!

My older brother and his second wife (she actually was the "giver") sent us a used set of Christmas napkins one year. At least they were fabric and not paper. He called me and asked what they'd given me, making it clear that he'd nixed the idea and was not happy. CJ, I wonder if they'd have gone well with your used placemats?

Underwear from my mother-in-law, red silk, at least they were boxers. Actually, they were awesome, just felt a little awkward opening that one in front of 10-15 people...

My daughter's mother in law is a very generous lady. However, there is one problem. She continually re-gifts things. Imagine receiving the same present for Christmas that you gave her for her birthday months before! It is hard to get enthusiastic about finding a gift for her when you absolutely know that it is going to be passed on or passed back! I think a great gift for her would be a little diary in which she could write who gave her what gift so she could re-gift to someone else. But I guess she'd just pass that on as well! LOL

Lorna

LOL, Lorna, tell your daughter to give her MIL something that your daughter does want, and then hope....

One of my Grandmothers (Dad's mother) never could receive a gift from my parents (Mom was the buyer) without it needing to be returned.

Tom, my first thought was why were 10-15 people watching? I figure it's a "man thing". Women usually require a lot of privacy. Cracks me up.

Last edited:
Hi Ann- there were a bunch of people watching because the whole extended family on my wife's side gets together to exchange gifts all at once - it was pretty funny :)

ah yes- also, when i was 16, my step sister gave me some barbie sticker.
and when i was 23 my dad gave me some pencils with my name on them.
dad also gave me a pencil sharpener when i was about 13...

Liz, I do hope he knows you're now a woman, lol.

Tom, I told Phil about your present and my response and nearly drowned him in the shower as he laughed. Our shower jokes are multiplying way too rapidly...

This has been, for me anyway, an hysterical thread.

A set of cookbooks that had missing pages - from my DIL who prides herself on buying NOTHING new!

Oh, my... not nice at all. Diane, I was given a bargain chocolate cookbook which lacked a lot of the ingredients and directions. The bargain price was too much, but at least I knew it was given in good faith.

I got a vacuum cleaner for Mother's Day a few years back - but since it was a Dyson - I was really happy about it.....

The worst gift was a wedding gift from my husband's brother and his wife. They re-gifted us for our wedding. I don't recall them being in financial trouble at the time. I opened the box with the picture frame in it and a card fell out. I thought it was odd since there was a card taped to the outside of the package with our names on it. The card that fell out was from the gift in it's previous life. It was addressed to other people, not us. They didn't even check the box before they wrapped it and gave it to us.... come on - even regifting has rules.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back