Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
I, myself, am not a religious person, per se. Im more spiritual than religious. I dont agree with a lot of what organized religions tell me. i believe a lot of it, but not all of one religion. That being said, i dont EVER judge anyone who does follow organized religion. I believe religion is incredibly personal, so i try not to discuss it too often.
What i am wondering, and i'd like to hear from people who do follow organized religion, and people that dont- is what happens to someone who doesnt believe in God when they die?
i believe in God- or at least a higher power. i also believe that as long as we have some sort of belief, we will be ok, because God is understanding. But for me, I believe that if someone doesnt believe, then there is nothing for them when they die. Not very comforting considering my PALS does not believe at all. I dont have the comfort of knowing that he will be free of his ailments and disability and have eternal happiness.
And because he believes there is nothing- he is, well, deathly affraid of dieing.
What do you all think? i know there isnt a right or wrong answer here. just would like your opinions.
i ask that people keep in mind that we may differ in our beliefs, so lets be respectful if we disagree with one another.
Thanks

It is probably no secret what I believe so I will causiouly throw it out first. Let me say I am not religious either, I am a Christian and there is a huge difference.
Afraid to die?

I have pm'd you, Liz. Like Joel, I'm not what I'd consider "religious", but I do love the Lord... and there is a big difference. One is rules; the other is relationship. I will add that in loving God, He gives me His love for people.

I decided to add a couple of things. I post pretty much daily on the Christian thread (PALS Support area), so there's no secret. Also, I'm always glad to PM anyone who honestly wants to talk, but I don't debate. (Liz is asking with an honest heart, here; not a problem at all)

Last edited:
LizT, like you I consider myself very spiritual. I follow no religion. I loved my wife with all my being. To me, the mere existance of such an all encompassing love is proof enough of a higher power. I don't think my wife (also Liz, BTW) had any such beliefs. I don't fear for her soul though. She was my soulmate, of that I am absolutely convinced. I knew it from the moment I met her. Whatever comes after this life would be greatly diminished if she weren't part of it. I have no fear of death, haven't since I was a teenager. She was terrified of it. I am convinced my purpose in life was to ease that fear for her. I don't know if I succeded but I still believe I will see her again.
Dick

I am a Christian as well. I'm awestruck by Jesus laying down his life for my sins. My allegiance is to Christ.

[quoteAnd because he believes there is nothing- he is, well, deathly affraid of dieing.][/quote]

..................................Why?

God created us for fellowship. He could have made us robots, but gave us a choice to choose Him or turn away. But he also made provision to be in His Heaven forever, and it is absolutely free and without complications... a gift. The gift is available to all for the asking. Anyone may not believe the Bible, but it cannot be ignored that prophesy has come true. What was written over 500 yrs. before it happened. That's why I believe what the Bible tells about our future and the future of the world. It should at least make you take a good look and think it through. I believe with my whole heart that it is what you do about Jesus that determines where you spend eternity... because the Bible tells us that. Rick and I have believed and received. We are very confident.

CJ- you ask why? Because there is nothing to look forward to...

Sorry, I just thought people that didn't "believe" in anything, were OK with it! Our neighbors across the street don't believe in anything and one is a retired professor and the other is an educational administrator. They are fine with "nothing" in the hereafter. The gentleman's aunt died of ALS.

If he's terrified, then he needs counseling from someone to help him through this.

i understand what you are saying. this was more my opinion. he is affraid to die- he hasnt told me its strictly because of the non-beliefs, but given the conversations we had, thats what i came up with.
i think he is more affraid of the process. not being dead, but the actual dieing part.

I respect the sincere Christian beliefs held by many here. I hope no one will be offended if I offer some different perspectives.

Liz, there is a traditional religious belief that people's experience of the afterlife will depend on how they lived their lives here on Earth. The good will be rewarded and the wicked will be punished. According to this belief, if your guy is a decent sort, then things should work out OK.

As far as the belief that there is nothing beyond death, it is perhaps hard to find comfort. One idea is that we all know what it will be like to be dead. It will be just like before we were born. But nobody feels that it's horrible that there was a time in the past that they didn't exist. So we can strive to hold the same perspective on the fact that we won't exist in the future.

Birth and death are mirror images of each other, forming the cycle of life. We are only granted one lifetime, so what matters is how we live our lives and what we do with the time granted to us.

Hal
I am a firm believer that my future in the here-after rests firmly in the nailed scared hands of Jesus, but I find your mirror image comment very interesting. Had not considered that before. Thanks for sharing.

I am a practicing Catholic. My Church teaches that if one's conscience leads them to live a moral life, for the good of all humankind, there will be a place in Heaven for them. Potential problems occur when humans attempt to achieve moral living for all humankind using their own standard of what is moral. So, that being said, I believe that ultimately it's between your PAL and God. I know that God loves your friend, regardless of what he believes.

They say that there are no atheists in foxholes. You don't know what will happen as he gets closer to death. I think most of us are afraid of the process of dying. I cannot imagine dealing with illness without faith. It is what keeps me centered.

Hal- thank you. i like how you think.
pjm- i thank you too. i knew this was a touchy subject when i posted it, i just hope people are accepting of each others beliefs.
Im really not looking for who is right or who is wrong. Just what everyone believes when it comes to afterlife and what happens to a person who does not believe.

love these questions..but they can be dangerous...specially down the pub......am a charles darwin man meself..............about death..my landlord..a great bloke and i was a younster at the time...he was a bit of a lad, rough and ready..well, he had his 12th heart attack..he always said he was after president einsenowers record of 15...he never made it the 13 got him......he said to me.."john, each attack i"ve had i have in effect died.and john dieing is a piece of cake............he was"nt scared so why should i be?..loves the pooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back