Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
After months of thinking about it, even when the forum all exchanged facebook information and I wondered why I would make it harder, I've left, and closed the doors. If anyone wonders, I can be found here... Home.

Ann

Can you tell us why, specifically? My husband hates that I'm on fb! Besides, I really don't get the "social" aspect or interaction of fb, anyway! Guess I'm getting too old! RIGHT! I've closed my account twice, but re-opened it for ALSGA cause. Sigh...

PM me if you like, Ann!

Posts are controlled by them. Something I write ends up on a "new" page. It's become too big, and with that there are security risks. I've heard from the start that the games and little hearts, etc. easily lead to viruses, and with everyone using it, the virus or other problem spreads fast.

Ann, I know what you mean. I losed my fb account several weeks ago and can't say I've missed it. This is "home" and I am comfortable here. I'll catch you later after guests are gone and I have some down time. Pain is less today and clinic tomorrow so hopefully I will get some answers. Spent the week-end in bed - slept a LOT so perhaps that is the answer! Slower is better. Ahhh, think a wise woman in Maryland has been telling me that same thing for several months! :) I finally heard. {hugs} diane

Diane, I remembered that you'd left fb and that your dragonspeak installer was very much against the use of fb. The wise woman in SD led the way for me! Oh, sleep is so good, isn't it! Whether in the wheelchair, very reclined, or in bed (very comfortable), it helps greatly. All the old rules are out the window concerning time use. I pay two bills per day and stop. LOL, I come to the table when I'm called. Diane, I've missed you and look forward to your letter. XO, Ann

Ann, I totally understand why you did that and am glad you can call this forum "Home”

Joel, how very sweet of you. Thank you!

Ann, Mi casa es su casa! Glad to know you here and I like your attitude about time use. I have to get over feeling guilty about doing nothing much because after I do anything at all I have to rest.

I can understand why you left Facebook, I am still there but it is just a way for me to keep in touch with my family. No Farmville, Fishville, Fortune Cookies or any of that stuff, just not interested in games.

Barry, you are absolutely right about time use. All the old work ethic just has to be gone, and I was big on work... waiting to quilt until my list of work for the day was completed (and due to yard and garden, quilted only in cold weather). Now the payback for doing more than my body is able to do comfortably is huge. In fact, I'm wiped out for the day and it's only about 9:35 am. Crazy.

When I went looking for you guys on FB, it all seemed impersonal. I use FB for my family - we created our own group. But I think I use FB more or less to play contact tag, drop one liners. Twitter is fine for its purpose, but it's designed to be short and sweet. FB lacks depth. If you post something meaty on FB, there's a good chance people will miss it. I've posted stories using Notes and then have to ask people to read it. Even family members. "Did you read my Note?" "What Note?" People scan, posts get lost on the wall. ALSForums is just right.

Interesting article CJ
another reason why i dont visit FB that often.

cheers
Peter

I just read the article, CJ, and find it appalling. I'm so glad I left.

Thanks for the heads up on FB, I have been thinking of closing my account.
I really don't have the time for it.
GOD Bless Wayne

Well, I still love fb!
I've never had any reason for concern in my own use of the site, and a great many friends are users. I find that I am connected to quite a large number of school friends, people from the past and extended family that I would probably otherwise never hear from. I dont spend over much time on it, but I find it to be a very rich and legitimate social space. As my social life has been knocked around a little in the last couple of years, in a physical sense at least, face book has become even more valuable.

Having said that, I'm sure that a negative experience would be very upsetting and could quickly change one's view! To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back