Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I don't mind squirrels, they're not, in my mind "tree rats" like my dad used to call them, but I'm not crazy about them getting into the bird feeders, and have gone to some pretty extreme lengths to make my bird feeding station squirrel proof. Then, over on the maple tree, I have a non squirrel proof platform feeder that I load up with safflower seed which squirrels don't like. The system seemed to be working well.

The other day though, I was looking in the kitchen cabinet where all the bird supplies are stored, and it was just way too cram-packed. What to get rid of... the "no mess" balls of bird seed that the birds ignored, that was what. They're about the size of a tennis ball in circumference
So, I took little string sack holding three of these nut balls out to the tree and hung them on a hook next to the platform feeder, intending that whatever creature wanted them, could have them.

Over the next couple of days I noticed a hole had been gnawed in the sack, and there was evidence something was nibbling on the food.

Yesterday, we were pulling up to the driveway of the house, and there was a squirrel leaving our yard, poised to cross the street. He was dragging something underneath him, and I could not imagine what it was, it looked like cloth, and at first I thought he'd gotten tangled up in something.

Then it dawned on me. He had the entire bag of nut balls! It was as big as him, and he was headed for home with the mother lode.

LOL. I personally love squirrels and chipmonks. We have a lot of them and they are entertaining to watch.

Oh, Diane, that is too funny. I used to toss out field corn for the squirrels, but they still got into the bird feeders, and ignored the corn... and bit holes into the finches' netting sacks, letting the seed drain out. I still like them. And, Joel, the chipmunks are so cute. It's such fun to watch them all. Diane, wouldn't it be fun to have a picture of that "mighty squirrel" bringing home "big game"!

I gave away most of my birdfeed when I no longer could keep the feeders filled... and then last winter with the snows, we scrambled to find what was still available. OK--We did not. Phil did.

I knew an old man that would grease the poles his bird feeders were mounted to so that the squirrels couldn't shimmy up and steal the seed.

He also kept a Red Rider BB gun on his porch. Just enough fire power to annoy a marauding squirrel.

Kim, you're talking about my father! Only he used a 22 out the master bathroom window. It's amazing he got away with it. Now he enjoys them, But at the time he shot them he wanted to get apples from his only apple tree. He cut down the tree and life was much more peaceful.

My dad waged a 20 year war with squirrels after his avocados. After he retired, and moved "north" to Georgia he mellowed somewhat toward them, and would set box traps for them. My parents lived right up from Lake Lanier, so he would then drive the caged squirrel(s) over the bridge to the other side of the lake and set free. Its a big lake and he was pretty sure they wouldn't come back for more marauding ( loved that, PZ) in his yard.

Squirrels, chipmunks, just add them to my ever growing list of things to see when I come over to see the snow.

Any chance to throw in a bear and a couple of Moose at the same time, or will they destroy the bird feeders. :lol: :lol:

cheers
Peter

Squirrels...you know, that reminds me of a funny story from childhood. My grandparents, very old school, lived in this beautiful old house in the little bitty town with a population of say...20. My grandfather was the Circuit Court Clerk for Mecklenburg Cnty for 40 or so years. Any, I ramble, one day the family was all together (the rest of the population) at the house, and we heard something in the pantry in the kitchen. We opened the door and this flying squirrel came out of the pantry and started flying all over the place. My grandmother had a broom after it. Just remembering her running around that kitchen in her bathrobe with a broom...it was hysterical.

Peter, saw a moose in April and had a bear in the back yard last night. So you can come my way and see lots of animals!

Loved the squirrel scenes from Pixar - did you continue on and see the squirrel that had been eating fermented pumpkins? Drunk squirrels are too funny!

I could easily coexist with the squirrels in my backyard in the middle of the big city... except they continually dig into my window boxes and pots. So tired of trudging off to the market to buy yet more flats of annuals. Nothing detered them!

This year my friend shared her solution to the problem. (few guns in the neighbourhood,you see.)

It goes like this. Walk, drive or roll to your hairdresser's or barber's salon. Quietly take her/him aside and whisper in her/his ear that you need whatever hair falls to the floor around her/his feet in the next few hours. Leave the shop and return in about 3 -4 hours with a garbage bag. Place the disgusting heap of mouse coloured hair in the bag. Go back home and ,with gardening gloves on, sprinkle the hair between the plants in the containers. Repeat as necessary.

It works. Apparently human hair is as disgusting to squirrels as it is to humans when it gets in their mouths.

ND

Dog hair works just as good and all you have to do is brush the dog. Speaking of squirrels, what color are yours? I've lived with grey and red squirrels before. Here they are black.

Hmmm...I didn't know about the hair. I cut everyone's hair in my house, so I'll save it next time and put the hair out.

Black squirrels? I've never heard of them before, how cool! Do you have pics you can share? I'd love to see one.

I think squirrels are cute, and crafty. A few years ago, when I could still walk, I was playing golf and as usual I had a few granola bars in the cart for a snack. I was about to tee off on the 12 hole when this squirrel climbed into the golf cart and stole one of my granola bars, it wasn't even open yet. A whole granola bar for one little squirrel, I bet that made his day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back